Paul Churchill

Affinity Publisher file import from Page Plus - PLEASE ?

16 posts in this topic

Are we safe to assume that Affinity Publisher will be able to import an existing 100 page PagePlus file with ;

• Left and right hand Master pages;
  • Auto table of contents generation.

Thats not too much to ask is it ? 

I really don't want to re-create it all manually !

regards

Paul Churchill

We have no plans to import any documents from any of the old Serif Plus range of applications. You can however use PDF files as a method of moving content to Affinity.

Many thanks,

TonyB.

Big disappointment Tony

Have you any idea of how much work goes into creating a 100 page PagePlus publication and a to offer PDF import will be a joke.

What you are really saying is NO - just start again

Thanks

Currently I maintain the 100 page stock list in PagePlus in Parallels on a MacBook and the customer could read it on a Windows PC

My aim is to go all native Mac Apps

If I do that the the customer gets a PDF and cannot edit it

So he can import it into PagePlus for Windows.

what will he get ?

Auto table of contents ? Not a chance

Left and right master pages - I very much doubt it.

This will be about as effective as trying to import a PDF into Excel as in you'll get the text but not any formulas etc

PDF is a print format not a format to go between Mac and Windows

Serif needs to consider this - manage the transition and exchange. This is vital to moving between Mac & Windows.

I have office for the Mac and it reads and writes to the same format as Office for the PC, it would be a joke if Microsoft suggested we both write to PDF and exchange files

Affinity applications are not Mac versions of Serif's Plus Applications. Affinity is a new range of applications that have their own file format, their own features and their own target audience.

I agree with Paul C. Affinity are going to miss a big swathe of customers with this policy. Many users are quitting the Microsoft platform in favour of Mac - due MS's stubborn attitude in trying to manipulate its customers - and the customer is always right.

There is a vast market out there who want something: the winner will be the one who realises that, and meets the demand.

Serif users have to say goodbye to a loved product, (when ditching Windows). Adobe users are saying good riddance to the industry standard, on a hated price plan, on a loved platform. The Affinity team MUST treat both camps with equality. This is where the loyalty comes from.

Serif and Affinity, you can do it!

Adobe should be bricking it. :ph34r:

PS if there are any coders out there; a .dpp to .pdf converter on the App store would be fantastic!

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.10

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

This is really disappointing news. I've used PagePlus since version 2 and I'm really happy with it. However, I am really fed up with Microsoft Windows and have now bought a Mac. I only use my PC for PagePlus now and was quite hopeful when I was told  that Serif are developing a Mac publisher program. Whilst most of my publications could probably be imported via a PDF version this is not ideal. If there is another product out there for Mac that would read ppp files then I would buy it. As it is I will probably keep my Windows PC and see what the free upgrade to Windows 10 brings!

Question for the devs: would it be possible to develop a file format and/or filter that can import the baseline structure of a pageplus document without necessarily importing the entire file in order to give pageplus users a point to recreate their document from in APub as opposed to having to rebuild from scratch if/when they come over to APub from pageplus?

I was thinking that this transitional format could import the layout without linked pictures, text w/ formatting stripped out and retain some form of barebones master pages.

Question for the devs: would it be possible to develop a file format and/or filter that can import the baseline structure of a pageplus document without necessarily importing the entire file in order to give pageplus users a point to recreate their document from in APub as opposed to having to rebuild from scratch if/when they come over to APub from pageplus?

PDF import will give you this structure.

Use the APub when it comes out for new work and simple PP files that have been exported to PDF. Use PP for longer documents where text flow is important. If you need to redo a longer work in APub down the road (for whatever reason), then use them in conjunction via copy/paste text and relink to image files.

The above is what I do no matter what layout application I choose or need to use for any given work.

Mike

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

I think that Serif could and should improve on importing only PDF files. For posters, menus, or greeting cards it would be fine. For books, the flow of text between pages is crucial.

I don't think it would be hard to provide an import filter for WritePlus files, which contain styles, footnotes, inline graphics, and index marks. The screen shot below is of a long WritePlus *.stt file exported from one of my books, and imported into a blank new document. Reflowing the text in a new Affinity Publisher document, then adding other content like master pages, tables, calendars, freely floating graphics, etc., would be relatively simple.

19140.png

Patrick Connor likes this

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit •  My Free OpenType Fonts