Stace

Eraser not working Affinity Designer

I don't know if this is a bug or user issue.

I'm in pixel persona in Affinity Designer. The brush is working great, but I am newly unable to erase anything, whether I use my Wacom pen button, click on the eraser with my mouse, tap the letter 'e' on the keyboard or turn the Wacom pen upside down. Nothing does it. 

I am still able to erase if I open up Affinity Photo so I'm guessing it's not the Wacom settings, but could be wrong.

I have tried restarting the software and restarting the Mac. 

Usually when I have this issue Cmd D fixes it, because I've accidentally selected a tiny area of pixels, but it's not that either.

Can anyone think of something else I may have done accidentally to prevent erasing in Designer?

Affinity Designer 1.6.1

Mac Sierra 10.13.3

Wacom Intuos 5 touch with up to date driver

10 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Stace,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Check the Opacity and Flow in the context toolbar with the Erase Brush Tool selected. Are they set to 0%?

Unfortunately not. I hope the fix is that easy, though.

I have worked out that this only applies to some brushes. If I click off that brush, pick one that does happen to work, then click back onto the original brush I wanted to use as an eraser, now it works. 

I'll officially report this as a bug. Sometimes the erase function comes back after switching tools, other times it doesn't. I can't establish any patterns. In any case, Affinity Designer is unusable for me until this is fixed.

Hey Stace,

I've just gone through every single brush in the Pixel Persona and with the default brush settings, cannot reproduce this. I then went through a second time changing a few variables and it was still erasing as expected.

Are you using custom brushes? If so, how precious are you about them? It might be worthwhile doing a reset on them to see if this works around the issue you are experiencing. You can always export them by clicking the Preferences button first. If you do that, go to Affinity Designer > Preferences > Misc > Reset Brushes. 

I have brush issues as well. the brush suddenly stoped to paint...just in one moment, during painting. Now I am not able to use brushes any more...even the basic / default ones. Even with in. a new document. ...brush tool is simply gone

..it happens on macOS 10.14.3, with AD 1.6.1

13 minutes ago, RBCK said:

I have brush issues as well. the brush suddenly stoped to paint...just in one moment, during painting. Now I am not able to use brushes any more...even the basic / default ones. Even with in. a new document. ...brush tool is simply gone

..it happens on macOS 10.14.3, with AD 1.6.1

Hi RBCK,

Have you restarted the app? Make sure Protect Alpha isn't enabled as well. If you're still struggling, can you screenshot your UI with the Brush Tool selected and the Layers and Colour Panels visible to see if we can get a clue?

Posted (edited)

Solution found:  Turned on Assistant Manager and everything is working again.  Not sure why it was off, or what it does.  But it works now.

I am also having problems suddenly with the erase tool in the pixel menu.  I have the selected layer that I want to erase from, but nothing is happening.  All levels set to 100% with only the width adjusted.  Nothing seems to happen at all when using the erase tool.  I have closed and reopened the program, copy / pasted into a new file, and attempted to reset all brush preferences (not using any custom brushes anyway).  

Edited by Ryan Linsner
found solution

I found this issue within 1 hour of using it after a 3000.00(surface book 2 plus 100.00(pen). I expected an obvious answer. not. It seems to be a layer choice issue. Support should have had this answer ready.

11 hours ago, Mark Campbell said:

I found this issue within 1 hour of using it after a 3000.00(surface book 2 plus 100.00(pen). I expected an obvious answer. not. It seems to be a layer choice issue. Support should have had this answer ready.

Hi Mark, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Quite often, the brushes appear as though they are not working because one of the following reasons:

1. Protect Alpha is enabled
  2. Flow is set to 0% on the context toolbar
  3. Opacity is set to 0% on the context toolbar
  4. Layer opacity is set to 0% on the Layers Panel
  5. Accumulation is set to 0% in the Brush editor
  6. You have a small pixel selection somewhere. Cmd+D (Mac) or Ctrl+D (Win) to deselect it

If you are reporting a bug and none of the above situations apply to you, could you please provide me with a recipe to reproduce the issue so we can get it logged with the developers.

Welp, I guess the honeymoon's over. I'm having the exact same issue, and restarting/rebooting my machine doesn't fix it, nor does uninstalling and reinstalling Photo: none of the brushes work, whether to paint or erase. Now I'm well and truly up the creek because I need to edit some graphics for a hard deadline tomorrow morning (it's 11:35 pm right now), and I can't use Photoshop because it keeps crashing my entire system (which has 32GB RAM and a 6GB GPU). I had high hopes for Photo, but it is amateurishly buggy and I'll be looking for a more reliable Photoshop replacement. Live and learn, I guess.

3 hours ago, Topcliffe said:

Welp, I guess the honeymoon's over. I'm having the exact same issue, and restarting/rebooting my machine doesn't fix it, nor does uninstalling and reinstalling Photo: none of the brushes work, whether to paint or erase. Now I'm well and truly up the creek because I need to edit some graphics for a hard deadline tomorrow morning (it's 11:35 pm right now), and I can't use Photoshop because it keeps crashing my entire system (which has 32GB RAM and a 6GB GPU). I had high hopes for Photo, but it is amateurishly buggy and I'll be looking for a more reliable Photoshop replacement. Live and learn, I guess.

Did you try and of the steps I listed above? You are the 5th person in this thread to experience this yet nobody has confirmed/denied if my steps to check work.

If there was an actual (bug) issue and it wasn't working for you, the tool would not work for me either—but it does. 

If you have checked all those settings and it still isn't working, a screen recording with your UI in full view will be helpful.