dkibui

Merge Layers/Groups

Last year I bought both Affinity Designer and Photo because of the reviews I saw on the internet and frankly I did not want to miss my opportunity of get rid of Adobe PS and Ai since I only use them to prepare my animation files and some graphic design here and there. My honest opinion is that when the software works it works so well but when it fails it falls on it's stomach, hard!

I have a composition with elements I am preparing to export as a PSD but I want to merge every element's building blocks to reduce clatter. You can probably imagine my shock finding out that the merge feature does not work. I can only merge all layers into one layer! 

I have included a sample file containing two sample elements each made up of many parts which I want to merge into a single layer for each group. I know in the spirit of wanting to help someone will suggest a work around but please consider that I have more 10 such elements in this one composition and I have more compositions. I am hoping that I have missed something. Thanks!

Eagle Animation.afphoto

Your example has a layers panel that looks like this:

Capture1.PNG.f89f5539480602d983becace0759c5c5.PNG

If you mean that you want to end up with something like this screenshot

Capture.PNG.e8a400d8fbc354da469d4726dac72af1.PNG

of the layers panel shows, then yes, it can be done.

Someone more expert than I may be able to suggest something simpler. But the approach I used is this. For each layer that you want to merge:

1. Create a new layer below that layer. For a layer at the top or middle, click on the layer below it in the panel, then Layer->New Layer or ctrl-shift-N. (For the bottom layer, this may involve creating a new layer higher in the stack and dragging it down to where you want it.)
  2. Right-click on the layer you want to merge, and select Merge Down. That gives you a merged copy in the new layer you created in step 1.

If you have 10 "messy" layers that you want to simplify (but keep as 10 layers) you would repeat that process 10 times.

Eagle Animation-mreged.afphoto

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.384 Beta

Select "Layer 1" in the layers panel then

Layer > Rasterise

Then select the other layer, also called "Layer 1", and do the same

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Your example has a layers panel that looks like this:

Capture1.PNG.f89f5539480602d983becace0759c5c5.PNG

If you mean that you want to end up with something like this screenshot

Capture.PNG.e8a400d8fbc354da469d4726dac72af1.PNG

of the layers panel shows, then yes, it can be done.

Someone more expert than I may be able to suggest something simpler. But the approach I used is this. For each layer that you want to merge:

1. Create a new layer below that layer. For a layer at the top or middle, click on the layer below it in the panel, then Layer->New Layer or ctrl-shift-N. (For the bottom layer, this may involve creating a new layer higher in the stack and dragging it down to where you want it.)
  2. Right-click on the layer you want to merge, and select Merge Down. That gives you a merged copy in the new layer you created in step 1.

If you have 10 "messy" layers that you want to simplify (but keep as 10 layers) you would repeat that process 10 times.

Eagle Animation-mreged.afphoto

Thank you so much Walt for the suggestion. I have tried it and it works, it is not the most efficient process but it works. Most appreciated

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Select "Layer 1" in the layers panel then

Layer > Rasterise

Then select the other layer, also called "Layer 1", and do the same

Thank you Carl. This seems to be the best process, I wish the rasterize command appeared as part of right clicking or the merge layers command worked. I have assigned a keyboard shortcut to "Rasterize" but it's a little slow to respond. Thanks a million for pointing this out, it works for me. I was probably going to renew my CC subscription. 

If you have more layers in your documents and they are structured the same way as the document you uploaded you can create a macro to rasterise all the layers for you

Pick a document with say, 15 layers, create the macro and when done it will work correctly on any document containing from 1 to 15 layers

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

21 minutes ago, dkibui said:

Thank you Carl. This seems to be the best process, I wish the rasterize command appeared as part of right clicking or the merge layers command worked. I have assigned a keyboard shortcut to "Rasterize" but it's a little slow to respond. Thanks a million for pointing this out, it works for me. I was probably going to renew my CC subscription. 

I find it odd that Rasterize is not on the right-click menu for the file you showed us, yet is available via Layer->Rasterize. I would expect it to be either available via both methods or neither.

It's also a bit odd that the menu item is "Rasterize..." because in my experience the "..." generally indicates some popup with additional options/actions will occur, but none does in this case. For consistency with other operations in the Affinity apps and other applications the item should simply be "Rasterize", unless there are other circumstances where some kind of popup dialog appears.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.384 Beta

44 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's also a bit odd that the menu item is "Rasterize..." because in my experience the "..." generally indicates some popup with additional options/actions will occur, but none does in this case.

I asked about that ellipsis a couple of years ago, whereupon I was pointed in the direction of this answer from Miguel.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

The simples method I know of is:

• Group everything you want to Rasterize with Ctrl/Cmd + G [this includes Layers and Artboards, bo then all Artboards inside the Groupwill be inside a single canvas... and the names of the Artboards will remain there floating]
  • Right click on said Group, then click Rasterize... option

Rastrerize.png

Rastrerize_2.png

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art