You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm working on a SkillShare tutorial to un-stuck myself and get back in to design.

This problem seems silly, but I keep running into little hurdles in Affinity Design that I am having trouble surmounting.

The current lesson has the vector watercolor strokes you see in picture one being turned into gradient strokes in picture 2. Picture 2 can probably be accomplished easily with a gradient map, but I'm failing to get the white-to-black transition in either pixel or vector brushes (Designer or Photo). I play with the controller and luminosity settings to no avail — my strokes all look flat and only show lightness or darkness when I overlap them.  

Suggestions warmly greeted! West Coast Namaste!

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 10.50.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 10.50.40 PM.png

Hi, jstnhllmn,

I haven't used any Adobe products since around CC1, so I can only guess at what the SkillShare tutorial is showing. Couldn't find it from some quick searches.

If the problem is creating different layers of opacity making the bitmap "watercolor,"  dutchshader's suggestion should help

But my guess is that the 2nd pic is showing how to turn a bitmap "watercolor," into vector shapes by using a auto trace tool which are then filled w. a gradient. At this point Affinity doesn't have any tool to convert the bitmap to vector.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet