mqudsi

Printer ICM profile not showing in print dialog

After installation that profile does not show up in the Affinity Designer print dialog for me, either, even after restarting AD.

On the other hand, it also doesn't show up for me in PaintShop Pro or Painter, either. I did not try restarting Windows in case that's important.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.384 Beta

I don't think Affinity applications will utilize cmyk profiles. Which is what that profile is.

What I have read from Serif in the past is that Windows print drivers only accept rgb data. This isn't strictly true. But you have to be using a true postscript printer that itself is using a true postscript ppd.

Current Xerox drivers, though you may have installed the postscript version, are still rgb drivers.

I faced the same issue with my Xerox printers. Even CorelDraw saw the newest postscript Xerox drivers as rgb. Installing an older, proper postscript driver cured that in everything except Affinity products. 

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

I have the same Xerox C500 installed as three separate printers. One via the latest PostScript drivers, again with the PS drivers only with a black-and-white profile set up as the default, then a third time with the PCL drivers instead. This was out of necessity in the past (with an older Xerox Phaser 6700) since the Xerox PS drivers would drive Windows into some sort of paging frenzy as memory was paged out to disk then swapped back in 10 minutes later, but only the PS drivers would print fonts at 120dpi+ instead of rasterizing them pixelization visible to the naked eye on a simple 8.5x11.

However, I'm not having any problems with these latest PS drivers on the C500, so I can't complain.

These are the only profiles available from Xerox for download for this printer though, and they don't show up even in the PS profile.

Because this works in CD versus AD, the below are from CorelDraw's print dialog.

Here's a screen shot using Xerox's new drivers, a PostScript v.4 driver:

capture-001782.png.a768b8a6f4084b56bdf3b917480e8959.png

My only choices are RGB and Grayscale.

Here's the dialog when I use Xerox's older v.3 PPD (which are available at the bottom of their Driver download page, though I didn't see if your printer is listed).

Note the color choices...

capture-001783.png.c9864f91200eb735e03861bd264181bd.png

The one listed as Native is important. Because my Xerox printers have Pantone lookup tables built-in, this will force the driver to use its internal tables. As well, RGB images are sent as RGB & CMYK using their embedded profiles.

In any case, it is rather a moot point in Affinity software because Serif isn't allowing such a thing.

Mike

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

@Chris_K in the closed duplicate thread, you wrote:

You should have a small set of common CMYK profiles that we include installed in C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Designer\Resources\icc for documents. Any other profile we use is taken from your system. 

Yes, I see some basic CMYK profiles there (such as US Web Coated SWOP). However, none of these appear in the print dialog's color profile drop-down. Is that a bug?