You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export to jpg huge file size

I have an image in Affinity Photo that is 890px x 110px

When I go to export as jpg and choose medium quality (45%) I see the file size is going to be 598kb - way to large for a web banner. This seems huge as most images of similar dimensions I export are < 40kb

But if I export as tiff (e.g. RGB 16bit) then open that in Affinity and then export as jpg with same compression setting, the file size is 24kb (more like what it should be.

So what am I missing to be able to export to jpg for web in one go?

Thanks

41 minutes ago, Mr Lucky said:

Photoshop!

Yes seriously, it's been mentioned before that AP's native JPGs are far too big for websites when you need the website to have the smallest sized images possible.

Currently I export JPGs at 100% in AP then use Photoshop's Save for Web option to reduce their size to something acceptable to me and the clients.

Hopefully Serif are working on a more efficient "Save for web" option

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yes, I understand that Photoshop's Save for web was good, esepcially the preview feature.

What I don't understand though is what happened with this one file that is huge when expoerted directlty, but reasonable when exported to tiff, then opened and re-exported. approx 1/15 of the size compared to the direct export.

2 hours ago, Mr Lucky said:

When I go to export as jpg and choose medium quality (45%) I see the file size is going to be 598kb - way to large for a web banner. This seems huge as most images of similar dimensions I export are < 40kb

If you are using a PC try this free optimiser. Several hundred pounds a year cheaper than using PS.

http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/

riot.jpg.7e5fc4cf401da0b441a6818ba13c8487.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

17 minutes ago, toltec said:

If you are using a PC try this free optimiser. Several hundred pounds a year cheaper than using PS.

http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/

IrfanView (free for non-commercial use, and only ten euros if you need or want to register) uses the RIOT plugin for its 'Save for Web' option.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks but I don't need a 3rd party optimiser because all I need do (with this one file) is export to tiff then open again in Affinity. After that Affinity expeorts fine with nice small file size.

I'm trying to pinpoint what could be wrong about just this one file in Affinity that I have to do that.

7 minutes ago, Mr Lucky said:

I'm trying to pinpoint what could be wrong about just this one file in Affinity that I have to do that.

Hard to tell without knowing the image and the way APh generates a JPG under certain settings out of it.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

19 minutes ago, Mr Lucky said:

Thanks but I don't need a 3rd party optimiser because all I need do (with this one file) is export to tiff then open again in Affinity. After that Affinity expeorts fine with nice small file size.

Just did a quick test and I cant replicate that.

I get the same file size if I export the original file or the Tiff copy

Can you upload the file you see this happening to?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I'm showing an "unsupported colour mode" on the large jpg export

Looking at your document the colour format is CMYK

Changing this to RGB gives a much more expected file size on export

(Will play more with this later, or maybe a Dev could comment)

Well that document is setup as 300 DPI print and thus when exported is here more for print resolution, having a bigger resulting JPG file size. If you setup the document as 72 DPI for web and save, then I get a 42 kb JPG result out of it when exporting.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well that document is setup as 300 DPI print and thus when exported is here more for print resolution, having a bigger resulting JPG file size. If you setup the document as 72 DPI for web and save, then I get a 42 kb JPG result out of it when exporting.

That's odd, makes no difference 300 or 72, but CMYK to RGB makes a huge difference

8 minutes ago, Mr Lucky said:

That's odd, makes no difference 300 or 72, but CMYK to RGB makes a huge difference

Forgotten to mention that I converted to use a sRGB profile instead of using CMYK profile, since when testing created a new document (with default sRGB profile)  and copied your layers over.

• 2 years later...
On 3/23/2018 at 10:53 AM, Mr Lucky said:

But if I export as tiff (e.g. RGB 16bit) then open that in Affinity and then export as jpg with same compression setting, the file size is 24kb (more like what it should be.

Thanks

This is an old post, but I just found out what it was for me, maybe it'll help you:

the included ICC profile was absolutely enormous, exporting a JPEG of 300x170 to 500kb, while excluding it shrunk it down to 4kb - the size I would have expected it to be.