You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Processing infrared images on Affinity

5 hours ago, flashlarue said:

I've seen IR tutorials on using Photoshop but wondering if Affinity Photo supports infrared image processing? I'm having one of my older Nikon cameras converted? Where can I learn to do this please? 

As you are having your camera converted I guess the above tutorial is not fully relevant. The channel swop information is though.

The first action I perform is a white balance procedure in Lightroom, after that I usually do a channel swop; I am also wondering if the IR white balance procedure is possible in Affinity? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

To FLASHLARUE/ANTH,

I face the same problem. However, after paying good bucks to get my camera converted, having read a ton on the process and looked at many, many IR photos, I can say with great confidence I would never be satisfied with IR 'Emulation.'  I assume that the posters do not have Photoshop or Lightroom. I have Elements 13 which can help but clearly cannot create the beautiful images IR is known for.

I did discuss this with Greg Rostami (one of the founders of Topaz studios) who stated that their Adjust package does have the capability to help create the kind of images we desire. Downloading Elements+, which contains many more Photoshop capabilities than Elements, is also a possibility that I am exploring now. I will get Adjust from Topaz soon. Let's just keep trying and report in here for progress info.

Photodoc16

Thanks so much for your info. Please let me know what you learn or find out. In the meantime I went ahead and downloaded both Lightroom/Photoshop and starting

to learn that software. I haven't played with IR as of yet until I learn the basics. Here is one IR shot I did and processed using Affinity. I'm fairly happy with the results. 

Faust Park Jpeg.jpg

I love what you did with the picture above and I am really curious about what you will be able to do with Affinity Photo! After all, this is an Affinity forum, not Lightroom/Photoshop... ;)

The above tutorial for Affinity can easily be turned into a macro. The macro does allow to tweak each picture. Look at my thread here.

Dell XPS 8930 i8700 3.2GHz 16GB RAM GTX 1070
Main digital camera: Fuji X100s
Analog cameras: Canon 1v (35mm) + Mamiya C220 (medium format)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ivanlietaert/

Flashlarue,

Nice work. If you have any post processing suggestions in Affinity they would be appreciated. I am on the steepest part of the learning curve in Affinity and could use the help.

I am attaching a file that was simply done in Elements 13 after obtaining an IR image at Central Park. Using Hue and Saturation, this was created but I need to find out how to really manipulate the pixels so people will not be tempted to say "this is only a gimmick."

233379204_IRpinkbrown2.thumb.jpg.0b41702bdd89ae2f9dabff54dd7bf7cc.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 3/23/2018 at 12:20 AM, HVDB Photography said:

Watched this tutorial ?

shouldnt the sky be almost black & the green leaves white with infrared photography?   for example, with konica film stock

ah, ok, that was a color demo

converting to b&w by adding an extra adjustment layer will give the photo an infrared look of b&w film stock
layer>adjustment layer>black&white
red=300%
cyan=0%
blue=140%