You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What about "umlaute" in german?

friends and neighbours,

i just designed a nice little ad in affinity designer only to find out that the german "umlaute" i.e. ä,ü,ö, DO NOT show up in the pdf for print. they do show in affinity designer while i am working. what to do? or where do i have to change something because like this all my work was for naught.

thanks for all the assistance you can give me,

tomas

anzeige_320x110.pdf

• Staff

Hi tnittner,

We can certainly look into this for you, in the meantime could you supply us with a copy of the .afdesigner file you are working on? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

When I open the PDF file in PDF-XChange Editor, I get the message "Errors detected in the XREF table".  Saving a copy corrects that problem but doesn't restore the missing characters.

There are umlauts in the word München“ at the bottom, but that seems to use a mixture of Frutiger Light Condensed and Lucida Grande, and those umlauts are slightly offset. The telephone numbers in that section are followed by a ì character, which I suspect should be either a telephone symbol or an 'i-in-a-circle' (for information).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This shows me.

2018-03-22_150732.png.86aebd221dca48d6c562928472c304ff.png

I recommend changing the font.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

P.S. Maybe a little retouch the guiding lines :-)

2018-03-22_151344.thumb.png.47a31162deb9033127dbf433ef1edb4e.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Well fonts are embedded as subgroups as default here for the PDF export and it seems that for certain fonts here the umlauts are mismatched. - If you don't need to keep embedded editable fonts inside, let the export convert them to shapes (or convert the text paragraphs manually to shapes before exporting) instead.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

thanks much for all your answers. 1. i have been working with frutiger in indesign ever since it came out, i almost exclusively work with it and i never had the problem. 2. the title in oil pastel is purposely done like a child's drawing. 3. here is thwe af-designer file i am working with. let's see if one of you venerable pundits could give me an answer...

tomas

anzeige_320x110.afdesign

• Staff

Thanks for that tnittner, I have exported your document as a PDF, selecting More > Rasterise > Everything and this seems to work as a workaround. See the PDF and screenshot attached.5ab3d1ef1f589_EXPSET.JPG.5ab87b5ab5e850abbeeaf8f1e3e65d62.JPG

anzeige_320x110 rast.pdf

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hmm … rather than rasterizing everything, I would suggest that you try Convert text to curves in PDF export first. Does that work? :)

Oh, and as an aside, what about using correct German punctuation in your ad? Please use

• Mit feinen Arrangements schafft der „Paganini des Kontrabasses“ …
  • „Ich singe durch mein Instrument.“

instead of

• Mit feinen Arrangements schafft der "Paganini des Kontrabasses" …
  • "Ich singe durch mein Instrument".

and avoid these basic typographical mistakes. :)

Text-as-Curves.png.bfcf32b361b3f433929532b520e13a4c.png

5 minutes ago, tnittner said:

thanks @a_b_c, i have been searching where i could change the quotes, but eventually gave up. could you tell me where i can find the appropriate menu for that?

I'm not sure there's a menu setting for that. It may simply be a matter of which quotes you type, or what kind of keyboard you're using. Have you tried simply copying the correct German quotes from his post, and pasting them into your document?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, tnittner said:

thanks @a_b_c, i have been searching where i could change the quotes, but eventually gave up. could you tell me where i can find the appropriate menu for that?

You can use the Glyph Browser to insert any characters which are not directly available via your keyboard. Alternatively, use an online utility such as TypeIt.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You can also use guillemets for your purpose:

• Mit feinen Arrangements schafft der »Paganini des Kontrabasses« …
  • »Ich singe durch mein Instrument.«

Or single guillemets:

• Mit feinen Arrangements schafft der ›Paganini des Kontrabasses‹ …
  • ›Ich singe durch mein Instrument.‹

But usually, single guillemets are not used for quotes in German texts, unless in special contexts. So at least for the second example, I would not use the single guillemets. Still under the assumption that you have a German keyboard layout, you can access these characters in the following way:

• » ] (Guillemet links/öffnend): Shift + Option [Alt] + Q
  • « ] (Guillemet rechts/schließend): Option [Alt] + Q
  • [  ] (einfaches Guillemet links/öffnend): Shift + Option [Alt] + N
  • [  ] (einfaches Guillemet rechts/schließend): Shift + Option [Alt] + B

Hope that helps … :)

Alex