You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can Affinity Designer create Letter Portrait Text Effects?

Hi,

Quick question, I'm a newbie to the Affinity Designer Software. I want to create a text portrait (see image example below) but I am not seeing any tutorials on Youtube. 

Any tips? And can it be done on Designer or do I need to purchase Affinity Photo?

Thanks!

letterportrait.png

Just follow that PS video you took the image from, it's pretty much the same in Affinity products. In Affinity Designer you can do this too, there you just work out the image/portrait finetuning part in the Pixel persona.

ad_letter_portrait.thumb.jpg.c6be1e5a8e04c25a6b5d03137550ce44.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi AnilaM26,

Welcome to the forums!

This certainly can be done on Designer using a mixture of the Draw and Pixel personas.
Firstly, create your text shape using the Artistic text tool found on the left hand toolbar 5ab384ca007ac_ArtText.JPG.dc4ba7c36f9850c30ad6587088ab67a9.JPG
Then, insert your model image and remove the background from the image using your preferred method, such as the Smart Selection brush available in Pixel persona. b53dc7b991c84910abce85f262ce72f4.png
See this video here for tips on how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOE4G1xVckY

Once you have your selection, in the refine panel change the output to 'new layer' from the drop-down menu and delete the old image layer:

3135b2f50050a04c8e4efdfbfc6372e4.gif

Position the image over the letter, duplicate it using 'Ctrl/CMD + J' and then on the layers panel, drag and drop one image inside the Artistic text layer as such: c951d920e395b7d7913942ae93feaca3.gif

Now select the image that is not nested within the text and create a mask of that layer using the mask icon near the bottom of the layers panel: c974658c655951a14f1907dcb4ade260.gif

Select the mask only and check that you are still in Pixel persona. Use the paint brush tool with a black fill to 'paint' on the mask, masking some of the image to the edge of the text. This will automatically clip to the edge of the text, so no need to worry about being precise.
f25080a3145f6071cfec5b4d90fed85c.gif

Hope this helps! :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!