You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

As I drag a RAW file from Photos app (Macbook, High Sierra) to Affinity it apparently converts it to JPEG, as Affinity doesn't open the Develop Persona.

When I try to open raw file from File -> Open, I cannot find any of those files. When I open them in Photos app, they are in CR2 format and I can edit them normally in Photos apps own editor. I've already tried to change the RAW engine.

My camera is Canon 700D

What should I try next?

Eetu

• Staff

Hi Etu,

Welcome to the forums. 

We fully support Canon 700D. The proper way of importing RAW would be File>Import or Drag-Drop from Finder. Drag-drop from Photos app would only load the jpeg preview.

Can you please upload a raw file to our Dropbox Account so we can have a look?

Thanks,

Gabe. 

• Staff

Hi Eetfart,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

It's not possible to drag a RAW file directly from Apple Photos to Affinity as you discovered. You either have to select the CR2 in Apple Photos then go to File ▸ Export Unmodified Original For x Photos... to export it to a folder on your Mac from which you can then open in Affinity Photo (using File ▸ Open) or use our own Apple Photos extension called Edit in Affinity Photo or a third party extension like External Editors for Photos to send the RAW file directly from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo Develop Persona.

Note: it's not advisable to open directly a file stored in Apple Photos Library (on Finder) from a photo editor. That library is managed by Apple Photos itself. If you edit/perform changes to those files outside the Apple Photos you may corrupt the whole library. So always use the commands provided by Apple Photos itself to export originals/files to Finder, then open those files in the photo editor app or use the extensions when provided.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

It's not possible to drag a RAW file directly from Apple Photos to Affinity as you discovered.

Or for that matter to drag a RAW file from Apple Photos onto the desktop or into a folder in a Finder window. If you try this Apple Photos will always output a jpeg version. IOW, it has nothing to do with Affinity or any other app besides Apple Photos itself.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7