msmelo

AI file doesn't import correctly

Hi,

I have a specific .AI file that imports completely empty in AD (and AP). The file imports fine in a friend's Illustrator and, if she saves it in the latest AI version, it then loads fine in AD. Is there a support email address I can send the AI file to in hopes that Affinity can spot the problem and improve the importer?

Many thanks!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @msmelo. :)

The Affinity apps can’t read Adobe’s proprietary AI format. They depend on the presence of a PDF stream, so the file must be saved from AI using the PDF compatibility option; I believe this option is switched on by default in recent versions of the program.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Thanks - it's great to be here! :)

Ah... didn't know there were two types of AI files (I'm just a software engineer with no talent that likes dabbling in art packages). So you're saying my friend ticked a PDF compatibility option somewhere before re-saving and mailing me back the AI file?

With Designer it is possible to open AI files, BUT lines will not be preserved. A simple circle with 1pt outline gets two circles in Designer. The information for the outline will be lost. Whatever export format I use from Illustrator CS 6, there are always two circles when I open the file in Designer. Any clues how to prevent this behaviour?

Edit: Seems to be a problem of complexity? I made a new file in Illustrator with the circle and 1pt outline and Designer openend it (half)correctly. The outline was there, but outline and area were separated in two elements.

TIA