You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

50 minutes ago, DianeF said:

(I searched in the Forum for videos, but didn't see anything.)

That’s probably because they’re not videos, Diane! ;)

They’re animated GIFs, and all you need to make them is a little program such as LICEcap. Since you’re on a Mac, there are alternatives such as GIF Brewery and GIPHY Capture which might be worth considering.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

20 hours ago, DianeF said:

This is a bit off topic, but, first defence and jimmy jack, could you tell me what tools you are using to make the videos you've shown in your replies?  I'm on a Mac, so would be interested in knowing what tools there that do similar things for Macs. (I searched in the Forum for videos, but didn't see anything.)

Thanks,

Hi Diane, the app I use is Camtasia, which is a screen recorder. There are several screen recording apps for Mac such as the well regarded ScreenFlow, there is iShowU and Snagit. All of the previous are paid for apps but surprisingly QuickTime Player that you probably already have installed, is free, and, Its very simple to use, it will export recordings as a .mov file but that can be converted to a GIF or MP4 later.

5ab814277cd56_ScreenShot2018-03-25at22_05_25.png.3db39de4b0581e6540b2db22644485ac.png

Monosnap from the Apple store is another Free Screen Recorder but has in-app purchases, its still pretty cool as-is so don't let the in app purchase thing put you off. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks, Firstdefence. As you noted, I already have the Quick Time Player and saw that it has a screen recording feature.

I think that I don't understand the overall concept of making an animated gif, though. It sounds like you would do one step in Designer, capture or record it, do another step, capture and record that, etc. Is that the concept?

I looked at GIPHY Capture which Alfred recommended, but couldn't figure out what it did, perhaps because I didn't understand the larger concept. I think I'll do a little internet research to see if I can understand this better.

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1