You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Softproofing / Printer Profiles MG5500

Hi guys.

I love the softproofing option in AP - but I have no idea where the profiles in AP actually came from, do those ship with AP? Did my printer driver install them?

The problem is, I don't know even know which one's match my printer's profiles and how to find the right paper etc. The language difference makes matters not any easier.

Can someone please give me a quick overview, basically how this works? I'm not much of a printer guy.

Thanks,

Manuel

profiles.jpg

Those came along with your Canon printer driver software for Windows and usually did install to the Win OS driver or Win color profile directory locations. Take a closer look over your Canon MG5500 documentations, they probably tell somewhere which series model you have (P11, P12, P13...) and which supplied printer profile to use for certain tasks.

See also: Drucken mit ICC-Profilen

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

22 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Those came along with your Canon printer driver software for Windows and usually did install to the Win OS driver or Win color profile directory locations. Take a closer look over your Canon MG5500 documentations, they probably tell somewhere which series model you have (P11, P12, P13...) and which supplied printer profile to use for certain tasks.

See also: Drucken mit ICC-Profilen

Thanks mate. When you said "those came along with your driver" did you mean the profiles on the left in the driver window or the profiles on the right in Affinity?

Let's say for printing I want to use the one I selected in Affinity: "Canon MG5500 series Reflective" - the Document at Canon implies that the Printer Driver will actually use the Profile selected in Affinity. So far so good. But how will I know which Paper Type to choose for that profile? For the other ones I get it now, but for the "Reflective" one?

paper.JPG.e5b9d607632a521e5f7f8670cc4737a5.JPG

From what I know this is crucial step, matching these three: Softproofing preview - ICC Profile - Paper & Ink. I could really need a more detailed Step-By-Step guide on this, many blanks in my head atm.

I'm used to just download an ICC Profile from an Online Printing Service, adjust my Colors to it, send it out as PDF, the guys there take care of the rest. But my wife's been asking for it, she wants to print a ton of photos. And I figured it wouldn't be too bad to learn more about this from my part.

3 hours ago, manuG said:

Thanks mate. When you said "those came along with your driver" did you mean the profiles on the left in the driver window or the profiles on the right in Affinity?

Both, since these are the ususal Canon printer related profiles for their Canon paper media types, which are installed by the printer driver software. In the right side in the Affinity softproof panel you select/setup then the Canon paper type corresponding profile, as far as you later print on a Canon paper.

1. Media type - Each alphabet pair represents its respective media type.
  • PR: = Photo Paper Pro and Photo Paper Pro II
  • SP: = Photo Paper Plus Glossy
  • MP: = Matte Photo Paper
  • SG: = Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss
  • GL: = Photo Paper Plus Glossy II
  • PT: = Photo Paper Pro Platinum

See also from Canon: Understand ICC profiles and how to use them with your printer - Windows

Or this reference here.

3 hours ago, manuG said:

Let's say for printing I want to use the one I selected in Affinity: "Canon MG5500 series Reflective" - the Document at Canon implies that the Printer Driver will actually use the Profile selected in Affinity. So far so good. But how will I know which Paper Type to choose for that profile? For the other ones I get it now, but for the "Reflective" one?

Not completely sure on this, but I think first of all it's no printer profile but instead a scanner profile for reflective media.

For printing on other paper you always use a paper manufactor supplied profile for your printer, so if you use other photo paper than Canon, the photo paper manufactor of that paper then hopefully supplies/offers profiles for his special paper to use for most printer vendors.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2