Molglorf

How to create a gradient mask?

I may be very dense, but is there a way to use a gradient as a mask on a group or object?

I’ve been beating my head against the wall here. Maybe I’m just to used to the way it works in photoshop, but I can’t figure this out...

Can anyone help?

Ok, I figured it out, basically I was operating on the "white is opaque, black is transparent" mode that photoshop uses.

To create a gradient mask, you need to change the OPACITY in the gradient, not the colour. So whatever is 100% opacity in your gradient is 100% opacity, whatever is 0% is transparent, and everything else in between.

Guess this makes more sense, just needed to wrap my head around it better.

You can also use a grey scale gradient on a mask and also paint with grey scales with a brush on the same mask.

Black reveals

White conceals

but everytime i use the gradient tool it covers the whole screen, not just the layer.  and i cant figure out how to set the rubberband selection to the layer.

really starting to get irritated here, all the basics just seem very strange and so weird all the tools seem to be somehow 'modal', feels really old school.

and i cant even get support, because my posts need damn approval... and the company itself do not offer support.  i get that at the cheap price, but they should lift this need for post moderation.  how frustrating it is when you just start out and desperately need help to have to wait for a moderator to approve your first posts!

Just curious about what is meant by "Gradient mask" here and how people use the AP version.  There is a gradient mask tool in CaptureOne that I use a lot.  It draws a gradient (obviously  :rolleyes: ) by selecting a start point and then dragging to the desired end point.  You can then apply any of the C1 editing tools to that segment of your image, I don't see that flexibility in the AP version (and yes, I will be 0.001% amazed if the issue is my understanding rather than the capability of the tool in AP).

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, audioboy77. )

but everytime i use the gradient tool it covers the whole screen, not just the layer.  and i cant figure out how to set the rubberband selection to the layer.

really starting to get irritated here, all the basics just seem very strange and so weird all the tools seem to be somehow 'modal', feels really old school.

If I select a layer and add a mask, the gradient tool only affects the mask, not the whole drawing. Perhaps you could describe your steps in detail so that we can figure out why this isn't working for you.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

On 10/2/2015 at 6:25 AM, anon1 said:

You can also use a grey scale gradient on a mask and also paint with grey scales with a brush on the same mask.

Black reveals

White conceals

But when I try this, it doesn't work - painting black and white doesn't affect the mask, only OPACITY. This is different from usual mask behaviour, so I'm a bit puzzled!!