You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create a gradient mask?

Ok, I figured it out, basically I was operating on the "white is opaque, black is transparent" mode that photoshop uses.

To create a gradient mask, you need to change the OPACITY in the gradient, not the colour. So whatever is 100% opacity in your gradient is 100% opacity, whatever is 0% is transparent, and everything else in between.

Guess this makes more sense, just needed to wrap my head around it better.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

but everytime i use the gradient tool it covers the whole screen, not just the layer.  and i cant figure out how to set the rubberband selection to the layer.

really starting to get irritated here, all the basics just seem very strange and so weird all the tools seem to be somehow 'modal', feels really old school.

and i cant even get support, because my posts need damn approval... and the company itself do not offer support.  i get that at the cheap price, but they should lift this need for post moderation.  how frustrating it is when you just start out and desperately need help to have to wait for a moderator to approve your first posts!

Just curious about what is meant by "Gradient mask" here and how people use the AP version.  There is a gradient mask tool in CaptureOne that I use a lot.  It draws a gradient (obviously  :rolleyes: ) by selecting a start point and then dragging to the desired end point.  You can then apply any of the C1 editing tools to that segment of your image, I don't see that flexibility in the AP version (and yes, I will be 0.001% amazed if the issue is my understanding rather than the capability of the tool in AP).

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, audioboy77. )

but everytime i use the gradient tool it covers the whole screen, not just the layer.  and i cant figure out how to set the rubberband selection to the layer.

really starting to get irritated here, all the basics just seem very strange and so weird all the tools seem to be somehow 'modal', feels really old school.

If I select a layer and add a mask, the gradient tool only affects the mask, not the whole drawing. Perhaps you could describe your steps in detail so that we can figure out why this isn't working for you.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 years later...
On 10/2/2015 at 6:25 AM, anon1 said:

You can also use a grey scale gradient on a mask and also paint with grey scales with a brush on the same mask.

Black reveals

White conceals

But when I try this, it doesn't work - painting black and white doesn't affect the mask, only OPACITY. This is different from usual mask behaviour, so I'm a bit puzzled!!

• 3 years later...
8 minutes ago, duke22 said:

cant get a Gradient mask to merge two images

While I’m not sure if there is a consensus here as to what a “gradient mask” is, and I’m not absolutely sure what you mean by “merge two images”, does the technique shown in my attached video help any?

If not, can you give us a visual example of two images which have been “merged” so we can see what you want to do?

19 hours ago, duke22 said:

shows a white to black gradient and cant get any smooth transition.

Thanks sharing for the video.

Now that I have more of an idea of what you want, to get what I think you are trying to do you can do what I do in my attached video.

1. Select the top layer;
  2. Add a mask to it;
  3. Draw the gradient.

Also shown in my video is one way to ‘reverse the blend’ by swapping the order of the layers and re-drawing the gradient.

What’s shown in my video is still quite crude so further tweaking may be needed to get the best result.

Note: In your Photo video you were applying two different masks, one to each layer, and that wasn’t going to work for this. To ‘blend’ two layers like this you only need one mask applied to the uppermost layer.

17 minutes ago, GarryP said:

thank you very much for your help, very strange that's exactly what I do in PS and also what I tried in Affinity, I only brought a second layer into play after I could not achieve it with one layer. I started from scratch and imported images again and now it worked don't ask me how as I did exactly the same when I started on this yesterday.