bohemian11

PDF Export Text Bug

Hi all,

I have a text that is clipping an image. This text is using font that has some overlapping between some characters. 

When I exported it as PDF, the overlapped section, does not show the clipped imaged, instead it clipped itself and showed the background color.

This does not happen when I exported to png.

Pls find picture below as comparison

PDF Export.png

Kindly advise.

Thanks in advanced!

E.

Bummer. Out of curiosity, what font is it?

If you convert to curves, does it still do that? Do try on a copy of the file or close it without saving. 

48 minutes ago, MikeW said:

If you convert to curves, does it still do that?

There’s no need to convert to curves, Mike. You can use a similar solution to the one that you offered here as a way of tackling transparency issues: select the text layer and group it, place the group on top of the background image and then right-click the group in the Layers panel and choose ‘Mask to Below’ to crop the image to the shape of the text.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Alfred, perhaps. But I don't think so in this case.

Either the font or the pdf creation is winding wrong. I think. Which is why I wondered what font it is. If I have it it would be helpful to see what's up. 

You may well be right, Mike. You usually are!

I based my remarks on a quick test with Galeforce BTN, but I'm quite willing to accept that the result one gets could be specific to the chosen font.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

46 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There’s no need to convert to curves, Mike. You can use a similar solution to the one that you offered here as a way of tackling transparency issues: select the text layer and group it, place the group on top of the background image and then right-click the group in the Layers panel and choose ‘Mask to Below’ to crop the image to the shape of the text.

hi alfred, to achieve the effect that i want, the font fill in color is in radial gradient and the lower down the opacity of the background image. i tried to do what you suggested, but it wont give me the same result.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Bummer. Out of curiosity, what font is it?

If you convert to curves, does it still do that? Do try on a copy of the file or close it without saving. 

converting to curves does solve the problem, but i prefer to keep it as font if possible 

Then it does pretty much confirm there is something up during pdf creation. Thanks for doing that.

At least there is a work-around. Isn't there a checkbox for converting type to curves? Maybe in the More section? If so, and if that also works, then the type in your working file is safe. Else perhaps drag a copy of the text off the page and convert the copy on the page.

I couldn’t reproduce the effect using a solid filled rectangle in my earlier tests with Galeforce BTN, but I had no problem reproducing it using a placed image. Having found the free (personal use only) version of streetlight on Befonts, I got the same results as with Galeforce BTN; from the OP’s sample text, it looks as though the commercial version of streetlight has a bunch of stylistic sets to choose from, but I imagine it’s largely the same as the free version in other respects.

Alfred online2long.gif

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Hmm. Not happening here, but I am using Windows. It may be a Mac-only bug, or it may be due to the fill (which I haven't tried).

i tried these followings:

1. using streetlight standard ligatures with the background image --> same issue

2. using streetlight standard ligatures with a solid filled rectangle --> same issue

motherslove4.pdf

I can entirely reproduce this issue (Mac). You can select Text as Curves upon export, but it doesn’t work either … doesn’t depend on stylistic sets chosen … :(

6 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

I can entirely reproduce this issue (Mac). You can select Text as Curves upon export, but it doesn’t work either … doesn’t depend on stylistic sets chosen … :(

i used text as curves upon export and it works for me. interesting.........

13 hours ago, MikeW said:

Then it does pretty much confirm there is something up during pdf creation. Thanks for doing that.

At least there is a work-around. Isn't there a checkbox for converting type to curves? Maybe in the More section? If so, and if that also works, then the type in your working file is safe. Else perhaps drag a copy of the text off the page and convert the copy on the page.

yes, it works using text as curves during export. yes i am glad there is a work around. pheeewww 

This is definitely a font problem, and not an export problem of Affinity Designer. The path directions in the glyph contours have to be set correctly. For debugging purposes, I exported the demo font from FontLab with paths directions corrected, and everything worked fine. You might want to contact the font designer and point him at this bug. :)

Fontlab.png.ffb40080ad7a1d59ebda68245b828dd6.png

Correct.thumb.png.16c19656424175821ad61bfe7cf29e0d.png

46 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

This is definitely a font problem, and not an export problem of Affinity Designer. The path directions in the glyph contours have to be set correctly. For debugging purposes, I exported the demo font from FontLab with paths directions corrected, and everything worked fine. You might want to contact the font designer and point him at this bug. :)

Fontlab.png.ffb40080ad7a1d59ebda68245b828dd6.png

Correct.thumb.png.16c19656424175821ad61bfe7cf29e0d.png

errr how do i set it correctly? can i do it my self for me before letting the font designer know?

You would need to use a font design application like FontLab, Glyphs or (the free) Fontforge for that purpose. All of them have a built-in option to correct path directions. However, before trying this, you should study the license agreement that came with your font purchase. Usually, you are not allowed to modify commercial fonts without the designer’s consent, so I am not sure if I can suggest to do what I have done for debugging purposes. :)

18 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

You would need to use a font design application like FontLab, Glyphs or (the free) Fontforge for that purpose. All of them have a built-in option to correct path directions. However, before trying this, you should study the license agreement that came with your font purchase. Usually, you are not allowed to modify commercial fonts without the designer’s consent, so I am not sure if I can suggest to do what I have done for debugging purposes. :)

okay noted. thank you for the warning. 

so basically I just need to tell the designer, that I found a bug in his font which is "correct contour directions" must be ticked (currently it is not)

do i understand it correctly?

Yes, I would just send the designer an example PDF and tell them that it seems that the contours of (at least) some of his glyphs seem to have the wrong path direction. In a font design application you can set the path direction manually or have the application do this for you, so it is certainly up to the designer to decide which way to debug their font.

Hope that makes sense … :)

Alex