MatthijsR

Creating a 1 px line in designer

Whenever I want to draw a 1px line, I use the pen tool (with shift). The registration of the 1px stroke is always centered on a pixel, resulting in a 2px 50% opaque (aliased) line. Changing the stroke alignment does not help so each time I draw a 1px line I need to move it a half pixel afterwards :(. What am I doing wrong?

Hi MatthijsR,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you have Snap to Grid and Force Pixel Alignment ticked in the Snapping Manager (menu View ▸ Snapping Manager...). You may want to enable the grid (menu View ▸ Show Grid) to help visualise the next step: now zoom in enough to see  the grid at a pixel level - if you move the Pen Tool around you will note that it will pick the center of pixels besides their intersections. Click when the point/snapping is on the center to place the nodes. This ensures the 1px lines will be pixel aligned with the grid.

By default at regular zoom levels the snapping picks the intersections of the grid. Depending on the type of work you are doing you may be already working around a pixel grid zoom level (small icons for example). For those cases the above config will help. If you are working with webdesign/UI projects at a regular zoom levels you may want to change the Nudge Distance (in Affinity Preferences, Tools section) to 0.5px and use the arrow keys on your keyboard to quickly adjust the line position so it matches the pixel grid. For boxes set the the alignment to inside.

Nudge distance to .5, that's a help! Thanks!

Wouldn't it make sense to apply the state of the alignment buttons to single line strokes as well? There wouldn't be an 'inside' or 'outside' but those could translate as 'above' or 'below' the grid line.

A few users already suggested that but it maybe tricky to implement it a code level that way - what's above or below in a vertical line? I will pass/talk with the dev team as this is particularly useful for UI/web design and we really not offer an easy way to get there without some type of "workaround".

Otherwise make a single line an object similar to boxes, etc. Property could be horizontal/vertical.

Or even as a repeat option so you have a line-fill-tool with 1 to n lines and gap space as properties.