Hello All,

I seem to have a bug where my layered and masked symbol layers will move/disappear at random, I would then need to find the layer and move the mask or crop area back to the correct location.

I am trying to build a large 20"x18.55" symbol, The symbol will randomly lose parts of the layers and then will need to either close the file without saving to get the objects back in the correct location or I have to manually find and move each layer back to its location, I can send you the file if needed, I am running ad 1.6.4.104.

If you require the file can I send it via wetransfer as I don't want it on the public forum.

my last question would be, why can i not get the symbols to tile without gaps !

Regards
Chris

Edit--

Just uploading 2 images one shows full symbol, second shows resize of brick and disappeared brick.

disapearing_brick_gone.afphoto

disapearing_brick.afphoto

Edited by artphotopro
add images

Hello Chris B,

I am uploading now to drop box, The file as been renamed to include my username, I am still learning AF P & D, please excuse the mess of the layers, I'm sure there is a better way of doing this design, The size is about 350mb, the centre square is the main symbol template, If you try moving the bricks about it normally messes up the crop or mask so the bricks lose location. The other problem I have is I can not get it to tile without gaps, I know I still need to edit some of the blending of edges but its getting there.

I have tried to explain the issue, If you have and questions please contact me, I can supply a phone number if easier.

Regards

Chirs

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the file. I can barely navigate without it locking up when the gaps start appearing. I but you've got thousands of objects in this document and they are all trying to be constantly rendered. I'm going to see if there is a better way of working with this so leave it with me for now. I don't think it's a bug though. Just a performance issue more than anything.

Also, the white gaps look like aliasing. This is something that has been raised numerous times. You might find this post by Matt (lead Designer dev) useful - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/15889-some-visible-hairline-that-irritate/#comment-72360

He offers some workarounds but I don't know how viable/easy they would be on a document like this with so many objects. I'd just try selecting a vertical group and nudge them so they slightly overlap by a pixel or two. I've just done it as a test and it seems to have worked. 

Hello Chris,

Thank you for the reply, I will look into the link you gave me.

Yes I know my file is silly big but I think it may be my inexperience that has created it this large, I was copying the same image file over from afp and pasting it over to afd as I did not want to keep cropping in afp and then undoing it to use another brick, I'm sure their is a better way of building this type of design, I'm just too new to the software to know what it is yet,

The design is for a charity I help out now and again, I need to have the wall printed in the next few days as if will be the background for a display that will be opening (will cover about 30ft of wall).
The bricks in the symbol have to be about 11" ish each as they will be as close as possible to how the wall looked in real life.

Any help you can offer is really appreciated.

Regards
Chris

I've encountered the same problem when working with symbols.

I just have some cropped bitmap inside the symbol.

And upon copying/duplicating with CTRL+Drag or ALT+Drag, the bitmaps disappear at random and the symbol bounding box is extended to artboard size.

EDIT:

After checking the layers, I found the missing bitmaps are all there but with a wrong mask size and location.

I have to resize and edit the mask to get them back.

20180324160938.png

The Boss is watching you.  :ph34r:

Hey Chris!

I'm currently looking at it at the moment. I gave up trying to export it to a PSD to see what Photoshop thought about it so I've just tried rasterizing the entire document. I'm just having another look with a colleague now to see if there's a nicer way (instead of rasterizing this) to get the document in a workable manner for you. 

I've sent you a personal message with a link to the file.

We've basically stripped all the repeat objects (masks, symbols etc.) as you've already build up a group. It has then been rasterized and then we've repeated the rasterized tiles to build up the brick wall.

It hasn't lost any quality and the document is still editable as we've hidden a duplicated group before it got rasterized. You can export that as its own image and repeat it in a new document to try and bring the file size down if you want. 

The file is now workable (for us at least) so let me know how you get on. 

Hello Chris,

I will download the file, will have a look once afd has exported the current file to psd (thought I would send it over to you guys if it works),

When you checked my file over was there any mistakes I made with the layout that could simplify the next one I make along these lines.
I don't expect a full "how to" any anything like that, just a pointer or two if you have time.

Thank you for all of the help you have given.

Regards
Chris

Hey Chris,

I wouldn't say mistakes but there seemed to be some unnecessary repetition. The file we sent back will allow you to tile a rasterized image without everything disappearing because the app is struggling to draw so many objects.

So I guess my advice is, when doing something similar like this in the future, try and work with as few objects as possible and rasterizing can be your friend. Just remember to keep a hidden layer with all the grouped layers intact in cast you need to modify something later. 

Hello Chris,

Thank you for the info, I have checked the edited file you were kind enough too send back, It seems the best solution is too not use symbols on anything that requires masks/crops or large patterns, I understand Affinity Designer and Photo are still very early in their version history and we will still encounter problems probably up to version 10-15, this can not be helped, small teams can only do so much. I appreciate all the help you guys offer and how great affinity software is at this early stage, I look forward too seeing the updates/bug fixes/improvements in the future,

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.

Regards

Chris