You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please allow scaling frame text proportionally

Especially when artboard is scaled but other than that as well - maybe Alt+scale or a trigger similar to Lock children?
This is very needed feature as we're struggling with this since beginning and for some reason it still is not solved.

Please, please, please! :)

www.cgartists.eu

• Staff

Hi cgartists,

You can use the detached handle on the bottom left of the text frame to scale is proportionately rather then reflow the text. Same for when the frame text is inside a group or artboard (make sure Lock Children is unticked in this last case).

scale_frame_text.thumb.gif.7a9a613557fb7bee8e7d4c2c815d71eb.gif

5 hours ago, cgartists said:

Is there a trick to scale artboard from A4 to A5 for example by providing size? Is there an option for that in transform toolbox or somewhere else?

Hello @cgartists,

if you know the size exactly (e.g. 148.5 x 210mm for A5) you can type in those dimensions in the transform panel (highlight the artboard first).

if you know the formula how DIN A pages are related you can type into the width and hight boxes of an A4 artboard the following:

W: 210mm/sqrt(2)   ... and hit ENTER

H: 297mm/sqrt(2)    ... and hit ENTER

DIN A formats are related via the factor of 'Squareroot of 2'. If you want to size an artboard up say from A4 to A3 you would type in

W: 210mm*sqrt(2)   ... and hit ENTER

H: 297mm*sqrt(2)    ... and hit ENTER

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

16 hours ago, dominik said:

W: 210mm/sqrt(2)   ... and hit ENTER

H: 297mm/sqrt(2)    ... and hit ENTER

I want to add that you can lock the aspect ratio by clicking on the small chain icon right of the transform values. Hover over it and a tool tip displays 'Lock Aspect Ratio'.

That way you have to enter the formula only once :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

1 hour ago, dominik said:

I want to add that you can lock the aspect ratio by clicking on the small chain icon right of the transform values. Hover over it and a tool tip displays 'Lock Aspect Ratio'.

That way you have to enter the formula only once :)

And I would like to add that you don’t need to specify the current value, or the units, in the formula for the new value. For example, instead of 297mm/sqrt(2) you can just type /=sqrt(2) (i.e. using the same units, take the current value and divide it by the square root of 2).

By the way, the short side of A5 is 148mm, not 148.5mm. According to the ISO and DIN specifications, derived lengths in the ‘A’ series (and the ‘B’ series) of paper sizes are always rounded down to whole millimetres. That’s why the short side of A2 is specified as 420mm rather than 420.5mm or 421mm, even though it’s derived by halving the 841mm width of A0.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 hours ago, Alfred said:

And I would like to add that you don’t need to specify the current value, or the units, in the formula for the new value. For example, instead of 297mm/sqrt(2) you can just type /=sqrt(2) (i.e. using the same units, take the current value and divide it by the square root of 2).

By the way, the short side of A5 is 148mm, not 148.5mm. According to the ISO and DIN specifications, derived lengths in the ‘A’ series (and the ‘B’ series) of paper sizes are always rounded down to whole millimetres. That’s why the short side of A2 is specified as 420mm rather than 420.5mm or 421mm, even though it’s derived by halving the 841mm width of A0.

Thanks, @Alfred for the shorthand. I know about it but I am not familiar with it and I didn't want to write up something that is wrong.

My bad, I didn't know about the rounding down to whole millimetres. Then it would be best to look up the correct dimensions and type them in.

d.

2 hours ago, cgartists said:

@dominik and @Alfred I am sorry but what I meant is whether is there a way to scale artboard by providing dimensions but so it scales text frames proportionally as if dragged with the external artboard handle?

If you click on the artboard in the layers palette with the arrow tool (V) a checkbox appears in the toolbar labeled by 'Lock Children'. Uncheck this.

Then you can resize the artboard with it's resize handle at the bottom right. This will scale text and objects accordingly.

It seems, it does not work to enter transform values manually (as described above).

Hope this helps :)

d.

9 minutes ago, dominik said:

It seems, it does not work to enter transform values manually (as described above).

Have I misunderstood something? If I uncheck 'Lock Children' and resize the artboard via the Transform panel, it works as expected.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 hours ago, Alfred said:

Have I misunderstood something? If I uncheck 'Lock Children' and resize the artboard via the Transform panel, it works as expected.

It is correct that it is possible to enter values in the Transform panel and that changes the size of the artboard. But it does not resize text that is placed on the artboard.

But if you change the size of the artboard with the mouse using the offset blue handle at the bottom right (it looks like the 'resize text proportionally' handle but relates to the entire artboard) text changes proportionally with the artboard.

If there is no text on the artboard but just vector objects then it is possible to change all of them by manual input in the Transform panel.

Can you follow? I'm not able to make a screen recording at the moment.

d.

@dominik

Try this...

Select the Artboard in Layers panel
Layer > Convert Artboard to Object
Switch to move tool
Click on pasteboard area
Go into Document Setup
Type your formula(s) there to resize the document
Make sure Objects will Rescale option is selected

After resizing select the "Artboard" in the layers panel again
Layer > Convert Object to Artboard

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

@dominik

Try this...

Select the Artboard in Layers panel
Layer > Convert Artboard to Object
Switch to move tool
Click on pasteboard area
Go into Document Setup
Type your formula(s) there to resize the document
Make sure Objects will Rescale option is selected

After resizing select the "Artboard" in the layers panel again
Layer > Convert Object to Artboard

@carl123,

that is indeed a way to get this solved. At first it did not work out because my testdocument consisted of more than one artboards. With only one of them it really works as you describe :)

I just hope this helps the OP as well.

Thank you!

d.