You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Fill a hole in a shape in Affinity Designer

Hi,

I have a shape that is closed and contains a hole. On the picture joined :

- This shape is a result of a boolean combination of 2 identical shapes slightly shifted.

- The stroke is red

- The fill is black.

I want to fill the hole in the center of this shape.

1 - I tried all the boolean operations (including divide) with no success, it doesn't "restore" the 2 original shapes as some vertices have been merged.

2 - I tried removing vertices to restore a "filled" shape,  but it is too hard as some vertices are overlapping other ones (is there a way to "hide" vertices like in Blender ?)

3 - I could redraw a shape on top of the original, but It's too hard because of the complexity of the bezier curves.

4 - I tried to make a square nested in this shape's layer, but it make the square appears only in the "fill" part of this shape (the black part).

How can I fill the center of this shape ? 

Thank you, Cédric.

2018-03-19 08_57_24-Affinity Designer.png

Edited by PifLyon
Added part 4.

If you don't mind the pixies adding a pixel layer you can always utilise the Flood Fill Tool

oreiller-shape.afdesign

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

NICE !! That works fine. I hope I will remember this method that is really quick.

Thank you dutchshader.

Note : I did not find "Expand Stroke" because of a the french translation "Vectoriser le contour" (which could be translated to "vectorize outline").

5aaf8246a734e_menuCalque-AffinityDesigner.thumb.png.26068c2e830aa94e992a8f5b71e74172.png

1 hour ago, dutchshader said:

the only way i could find was:

copy the shape, ungroup, layer>expand stroke, divide. clean up.

Wow!!! Adding the expand stroke step to make cleanup easier is a brilliant solution I never would have thought of on my own.

As I am sure you all know, what makes creating a separate fill layer for a "Curves" shape like this one so tedious is that its two paths cross each other at two points along its top, so there the 'outer' path becomes the 'inner' one & visa versa. Similar path crossings occur frequently in vector documents I work with, particularly in ones I import into Affinity Designer from other sources, so what I have been doing to edit them so they have only non-crossing outer & inner paths is to first divide them, then tediously find where they cross & break each of them at the appropriate nodes to separate the paths into individual outer & inner segments. Next, even more tediously I join all the outer or inner path segments to make a single outer or inner path. I either do the same for all the other segments if I want to preserve the other path or delete them if I don't.

Needless to say, for complex shapes with lots of crossed paths this can be a very time consuming, confusing process so prone to errors that I often just give up. I am not sure how well adding the expand stroke step will work for all of these files, but even if it just works for some multi-path shapes in some of them, it will save me tons of time (& frustration!) so thank you one hundred times over for posting this! :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7