You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding Full Fill Background Color to Workspace Page

Hello Community:

I have created a logo design in Serif DrawPlus X8 and the Artistic Text fill color is Red (R-255-G-0-B-0).  I am designing this logo to be silk screened onto T-Shirts for a special occasion purpose.  The T-Shirt material will be navy blue.  I would like to create a solid blue background in my Affinity Design workspace page to offer the silk screening company the two-color - Red & White - design layout to follow.  Is there a way I can flood fill my workspace page in blue while I continue to work on my logo design.  I intend to print the finished design so the silk screener will have a visual guideline.  (If anyone knows that this can also be done in DrawPlus X8, I'll gladly follow any suggestions provided.)  Thanks for any help.  NealO

USS Intrepid FCM 75th CA Logo.afdesign

Just create a full page rectangle and colour it with the blue you want with no stroke, see what I have done to your file. At the very bottom of the layers list You will see a blue rectangle, it is locked so you don't accidentally select it and or move it while drawing in the workspace. USS Intrepid FCM 75th CA Logo-blue BG.afdesign

Blue BG.afdesign

5aaf6fe70be7c_ScreenShot2018-03-19at08_07_35.thumb.png.bf5ddfe6b855d28cd3b96a72d955e7d7.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The red against the Blue will be a bit of an eye shocker, in my example I separated the red and blue with a white stroke. The text is a bit too fancy in your design to utilise a white stroke, a better option might be to make a shape like a shield or circle something like that to act as a background for the text. I notice you also have shadows on the text that are almost imperceptible against the background so I would question whether they would serve much of a purpose against such a dark background.

I don't know if this is the same Carrier but I have seen references to USS Intrepid CV-11 with a Badge/Patch like this: USS Intrepid Badge If you like I can make this up for you as a vector so that you can use it on your T-Shirt. If I have this wrong I apologise.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

USS Intrepid Badge.afdesign

5aaf90a27d5e0_ScreenShot2018-03-19at10_26_45.png.622bf08fefdc17940930cb3327df044b.png

If anyone wants to tweak this go right ahead.

Off topic, but is anybody else seeing this?

5aafa8d099720_0posts.png.e1ab4fa88af9faaeb41f965136af4a32.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Off topic, but is anybody else seeing this?

5aafa8d099720_0posts.png.e1ab4fa88af9faaeb41f965136af4a32.png

@R C-R yes I am.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The red against the Blue will be a bit of an eye shocker

Red against bright blue is a bit of an eye shocker, but red against the specified dark blue doesn’t look too bad to me.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Red against bright blue is a bit of an eye shocker ...

... but how shocking is that compared to the mysterious "0 posts" post?  detective.gif

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

... but how shocking is that compared to the mysterious "0 posts" post?  detective.gif

Off topic, but arguably shocking in a different way. I reported that spammy post.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

As @firstdefence said, blue over red is not pleasant to look at.
To me, adding a simple white outline like @fistdefence or even an "external glow" effect makes reading easier.

USS INTREPID.png

1 hour ago, reglico said:

As @firstdefence said, blue over red is not pleasant to look at.

For those critical of the color choice, please consider that the OP said the design is to be silkscreened onto navy blue (no surprise considering the subject matter!) tee shirts. That means it is not going to look the same on the shirts illuminated by reflected natural or artificial light as it will on a monitor where both the design & background are created by light transmitted directly from the screen.

For one thing, the material of the shirts will reflect very little light. For another, the relative brightness of the red & while colors will depend on how they are applied to cover or blend in with the fabric of the shirts to create a shiny or more matted effect. Aside from personal tastes, any perceived unpleasantness of this color combination is caused by the eye having to change focus to bring red or blue into sharp focus (because of the large differences in the wavelengths of monochromatic red & blue light) but that is not likely to be much of an issue here since people probably won't be spending much time trying to bring the material of the shirt into sharp focus, the colors won't be monochromatic under most viewing conditions, & the extent of this kind of perceived unpleasantness depends on a number of physiological & psychological factors that vary greatly in the population.

So unless you are confident you can take all of this into consideration & apply it to this specific use, it is probably best to avoid making any definitive comments about how unpleasant this color choice will be.

Affinity Photo 

Hello R C-R,

No matter the environment in which the T-shirt will be, the blue placed directly on the red will always attack the eye, it is not a criticism on my part, just an observation.

In heraldry there is an absolute rule: it is forbidden to place for example a piece of furniture of Azure (blue) on a background of gules (red), in general one never puts metal on metal or enamel on enamel.

This may not really have anything to do with our T-shirt, but if these rules were established there is a good reason, certainly related to the legibility of the coats of arms.

1 hour ago, reglico said:

This may not really have anything to do with our T-shirt, but if these rules were established there is a good reason, certainly related to the legibility of the coats of arms.

Speaking of rules. It is a popular story that the "rule" of driving on the right hand side of the road was established because Napoleon Bonaparte was left handed and wanted his right hand on the reins of his horse, and his sword hand next to his opponents.. It was a good reason for Napoleon but not for the majority of the population, who are right handed.

Just saying :D

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

9 minutes ago, reglico said:

No matter the environment in which the T-shirt will be, the blue placed directly on the red will always attack the eye, it is not a criticism on my part, just an observation.

Actually, in this case it is red placed on blue but either way, everything I mentioned plays a part in determining if or to what extent this would "attack" the eye.

Case in point: on my Mac I can stare intently at the image you posted for an extended period without experiencing any discomfort at all. There are several interrelated reasons for this. Among them are that my Mac's brightness level is not high, that the 3 types of cones in human eyes respond nonlinearly to different intensities of different wavelengths light, & that this nonlinear response varies greatly, not just for different people but also for any one person depending their health, age, emotional state, & several other factors.

It is the same for printed media, except that for items like clothing where viewing conditions are likely to vary tremendously & not all parts of the item are flat, there is even more to it.

Affinity Photo 

Hello Toltec,

I don't know if we owe the right-hand drive to Napoleon, but as a right-handed person myself, I'm happy to shift gears with my right hand, I'm more comfortable than with my left hand!:)

@R C-R,

As you point out, the feeling varies according to the individuals and I express my feeling, as did @firstdefence and to a certain extent @Alfred for whom the"discomfort" is not the same according to the shade of blue.

About clothing, I have a navy blue fleece jacket with a red collar without transition between the two colors, and this association has always bothered me, although the material does not reflect much light. It is a jacket that I did not choose (I received it as a gift) but when I wear it I do not see myself, so I am not too disturbed! 

Adding another color between blue and red (or other colors) apparently allows the eye (at least mine) to adapt more easily to the transition.

One word: chromostereopsis, ok more than one but I can't even say this word without having to clean my screen afterwards, there again I do talk like Daffy Duck'th o.O 

Chromostereopsis is a visual illusion whereby the impression of depth is conveyed in two-dimensional color images, usually of red-blue or red-green colors, but can also be perceived with red-grey or blue-grey images.

NealO sorry we have gone off on a tangent again 9_9

Thank you to all responders.  Each reply has been a unique education.  Response by reglico displaying 3 different treatments of the numeric image is what I was looking for.  The white outlined image is probably what we will adopt for the silk screening.  As my learning curve with Affinity Designer continues to rise, I may have to return to these forums occasionally when I get stuck on a design. This community is very helpful.  Thank you all.  Now, if anyone could provide me the download link to the Grade UI Kit, I would appreciate it.  Best, NealO.

I also meant to reply to firstdefence.  I was aboard USS Intrepid during the Vietnam era.  At that time, the carrier was tasked as a fast attack carrier - CVA-11.  The patch you posted was created by an outside, third-party vendor and is not the representative insignia we wore on our flight clothing.  Here below, for your review, is the official air wing patch that is Intrepid.  NealO

5ab19347907f6_USSINTREPIDPATCH.jpg.e1056f3ff205548b4bdc3f23ba929a8c.jpg