You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greetings....

Before I completely flatten my forehead against my desk... perhaps someone here can help me...

I am trying to cut out a precise piece of my image. I wish to use that piece in another app to do some tricky animation.

I thought to use the pen tool, outline the piece to cut, and command-x ... cut it out. Nope.

I have tried this in both designer and photo... how the hell, does one "simply" cut out a piece of the image...?

I have also tried to use designer > pixel perona and the selection tools, but there isn't enough tylenol in the free world to address that headache.

I've searched the U-tube, and there are lots of 20 minute tutorials that are not what I need... any one offer some guidance?

Thanks in advance.

-JF

14 minutes ago, JoeFine said:

I have also tried to use designer > pixel perona and the selection tools, but there isn't enough tylenol in the free world to address that headache.

I've searched the U-tube, and there are lots of 20 minute tutorials that are not what I need... any one offer some guidance?

Thanks in advance.

-JF

Have you watched this ?

Note that you cannot cut out a part of an Image layer !!!

It must be a pixel layer.

layets.jpg.1bd29f08472059838b5c79f4ce4a3139.jpg

If you create a path with the pen tool, you get this

pen.jpg.86ad167ed107c2cc49e871606340fb94.jpg

on the toolbar.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

11 hours ago, toltec said:

Yeah, thats a high frequented beginner-mistake. And even i stumble from time to time about this (after mix of placing and regular open...and long names which hides the lcategory in the brackets...).

There should be an option "always place jpg, png... as raster". For me its what i want in approximately 90% of cases.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

12 hours ago, toltec said:

Are you sure?

The selection brush and refining process seems to work Ok for me on image layers

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

12 minutes ago, MEB said:

To output/cut out a selection directly from an Image Layer during the Refine process set the Output to New layer or New layer with mask.

For me all Output options produce the same result whether it's an image layer or pixel layer

What am I missing here?

(using Windows version)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

I was trying to explain that you cannot use the edit/cut then copy commands from a selection with an Image Layer type (what toltec was referring when he said: Note that you cannot cut out a part of an Image layer !!! It must be a pixel layer.) - it just pastes the whole image layer again - but a way to work around this if you are using the Refine Selection dialog is to set the output dropdown to a new layer or new layer with mask. It will output a pixel layer with just the selection without having to convert the original image layer type to a pixel layer.

Or you could just use

Edit > Copy Flattened
Edit > Paste

On a selection on an image layer, which will also work without rasterising the layer

(I think the copy flattened command may be different on a Mac)