rubs

Render stops, then resumes

I've noticed this only in the latest versions. After zooming a few times, rendering stops for maybe a couple of seconds and then resumes itself. Today I was able to capture a screenshot.

2018-03-16_15-12-10.png

Maybe this is related to the increase of CPU usage over time, I don't know for sure. Mine starts with nearly 0% and slowly builds up. Now it's around 16-17% even when Affinity Designer is doing nothing. The workaround is to close AD and start again, I have to do it several times a day.

Taskmgr_2018-03-16_17-02-16.png

23 minutes ago, rubs said:

Patrick, I'm using version 1.6.4.104 beta, not the retail version.

Then please stop, as the beta is over and ADe 1.6.4.104 is released in the Affinity store and Microsoft store.

Currently we are only interested in bugs in the released/Retail version (until there is a new beta when we are interested in both). As the release is 1.6.4.104 I would expect the same behaviour on your PC, so you are effectively reporting a release build problem too aren't you?

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

38 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Then please stop, as the beta is over and ADe 1.6.4.104 is released in the Affinity store and Microsoft store.

Mark Ingram has suggested that we can “just live in the beta builds” if we’re willing to risk a little instability.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

That makes absolutely no sense to me at all when they are the same build. He's referring to users who want to run a beta that is out of step (earlier or later) with the main build. If you want to run a beta build then that's fine, even if that is actually beta 1.6.4.104, that's fine too. But there is no point in reporting any bug in an earlier beta than the release build and there is nominally nothing that will happen in beta 1.6.4.104 that will not also happen in the 1.6.4.104 release build (given the same setup like brushes, assets etc). So in my opinion there is no point at all in running 1.6.4.104 beta but you can, it behaves the same as 1.6.4.104 and so bug reports for it are bug reports for the retail release.

So I take it back, sorry Rubs, run what you want, but don't bother reporting anything "new" in builds earlier than the release version. And, if your beta is the release version (i.e. the beta has finished), then report it in bugs section.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

I've been using the betas for a while, so all my custom assets, snap presets, export settings, recent files, etc. are there. But somehow the focus of the discussion here has shifted. I'm more concerned about the screen freezing while zooming. Any thoughts on that?