You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Jez Couldwell,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm not sure i understood your question.  Are you saying you cannot change the colour of all the colour stops in the gradient toolbar when applying a Gradient Overlay FX?

It's the right hand colour stop that doesn't seem to be clickable. Only the left can be changed.  Do I need to change the Blend mode?

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Ok, thanks for confirming. This is a known bug that was logged yesterday and should be fixed in the next update. Are you applying the FX to a pixel layer?

No, just a regular layer.  Would a pixel layer help?  I've not used one before but I need a fix in order to be able to get this job out to a client today.

44 minutes ago, Jez Couldwell said:

I've not used one before but I need a fix in order to be able to get this job out to a client today.

Have you tried using the gradient panel from within the Gradient FX ?

grad.jpg.fe803f5683d47277c5a9d9e26fb7d89f.jpg

It works for me but I don't know what version you are using.

If not, if you are desperate I could make a gradient for you and you could perhaps cut and paste it.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

42 minutes ago, toltec said:

Have you tried using the gradient panel from within the Gradient FX ?

grad.jpg.fe803f5683d47277c5a9d9e26fb7d89f.jpg

It works for me but I don't know what version you are using.

If not, if you are desperate I could make a gradient for you and you could perhaps cut and paste it.

Restarting the app a couple of times seems to have fixed the issue guys, thanks for your input though.  Looking forward to the next update.

Hi Toltec,

Can you explain how to create the effect you showed above? I created a rectangle and then tried to access the gradient effect from the FX panel but couldn't get this to work. I'm attaching a screen shot of what I see on my computer.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 6.25.15 PM.png

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1

Click on Layer Effect settings (1), and image of Gradient (2).

2018-03-20_233812.thumb.png.582f94a3312ba4cf8d75af32520731bb.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Hi, DianeF,

Don't apply the fx to the rectangle. Select the object(s) and apply the gradient to them.

Or nest the objects into the rectangle that has the gradient fx.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm still not getting this. I'm working in Designer, if that helps.

I tried Psenda's method and got a nice gradient in the dialog box but couldn't figure out how to apply it to the rectangle which remained white.

Then I tried Gdenby's suggestion of selecting the rectangle, and using the Fill Tool (in Designer) applying a gradient to the rectangle. I got the gradient line, but couldn't add colors to it. When I clicked on the end points of the gradient, they remained white.

So, I'm clearly doing something wrong here. I'd love to know what I'm missing.

1 hour ago, DianeF said:

I tried Psenda's method and got a nice gradient in the dialog box but couldn't figure out how to apply it to the rectangle which remained white.

Make sure the rectangle shape is still selected in the layer panel and also make sure that the checkboxes for the gradient effect remained checked. Those sometime loose selection when clicking elsewhere.

1 hour ago, DianeF said:

Then I tried Gdenby's suggestion of selecting the rectangle, and using the Fill Tool (in Designer) applying a gradient to the rectangle. I got the gradient line, but couldn't add colors to it. When I clicked on the end points of the gradient, they remained white.

For the gradient tool and a selected rectangle with the gradient line you setup the colors to use for it's nodes on the top context panel under the filling color there in the popdown gradient panel, again make first sure the rectangle is accordingly selected (it's layer is highlighted/selected in the layers panel).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

9 hours ago, DianeF said:

So, I'm clearly doing something wrong here. I'd love to know what I'm missing.

I did this in Designer.

fx.jpg.1b729743f2b299c53193baf14f631527.jpg

If you create a rectangle, leave it selected and press fx in the layers panel to open the  Layer Effects panel.

grad1c.jpg.e900224a8cb1b7b8b5bd445d434b3def.jpg

Tick Gradient Overlay (click on it too) and then click on the Gradient swatch. That will apply a gradient.

grad3c.jpg.68b330be3fda1e3b83777c84de5afd3d.jpg

When you select a gradient control handle, change the colour by clicking on the swatch in the panel.

grad4c.jpg.75c41ff6706b0fe40625f5d94ce067aa.jpg

And there we are.  

grad5c.jpg.4104365042546ca62b027e4f672bbbea.jpg

Use the various controls such as Angle, Scale or Offset to adjust things to suit.

grad6c.jpg.da9b90648d658cd28a1c5343d002e385.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks very much for the additional suggestions. I was able to get this to work but only after I created a new rectangle and followed the steps. I still couldn't get it to work on the rectangle I'd previously created which seems very weird. But at least I know how to do this procedure which I will now add to the "Tips and Tricks" document that I have created.