You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I remove this image from background?

• Staff

Hi Limerickman and Welcome to the Forums,

I was able to get the attached results using Select Sampled Colour and clicking on the black line drawing, i then invert the selection by clicking Select>Invert Selection and then press delete on the keyboard.  Playing around with the tolerance slider, you'll be able to improve the selection.  I'm sure if anyone else has a method to do this, they will post it :) 

lessongesdrolati00tros_0035.png

Or...

Flood select tool, 20% tolerance, uncheck Contiguous in the context menu, click once on the background to select it, then press delete:

5aabd8ad8a316_ScreenShot2018-03-16at14_45_31.png.5e00483b8197ee59f6374efe8d4714df.png

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Both, Blend Options and Erase White Paper leaves the Fill of the image transparent

If the OP just wants the background transparent, use the Flood Select Tool with Contiguous checked

PS A detect edges filter layer can also help define the selection of the Flood Select Tool

JPG.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Can somebody please explain what the blend mode route does? I can duplicate the effect of course, but I would like to understand it to recognise when I can use it. My instinct would have been flood select & delete, but the results are interestingly different.

3 hours ago, henryg said:

Can somebody please explain what the blend mode route does? I can duplicate the effect of course, but I would like to understand it to recognise when I can use it. My instinct would have been flood select & delete, but the results are interestingly different.

Zoom in on the image and display the Information panel (View - Studio - Info).

5aac1dc1bea5f_ScreenShot2018-03-16at19_25_04.png.ae230dbe8f51dffb3025b97244fb987b.png

As you move your mouse over various areas of the image, you'll see the RGB values (the strength of the pixels) in the information panel change.

While the mouse is over a background area as in the screen grab above, the RGB values are high/strong - around 150-200. When you move it over a black line in the image, the RGB values are low/weak - no greater than about 20.

Now set up the Blend Ranges panel as in MEB's example, and see what happens in the Info panel when you move the mouse around. Background pixel strength has been reduced to zero, but the black line areas stay more or less the same:

5aac1eb11c0d2_ScreenShot2018-03-16at19_44_13.png.952f3a6646e2c51d5962b942656455f1.png

The left-hand graph in Blend Ranges - Source Layer Ranges -  has two axes: X (across) goes from weak pixels (left) to strong pixels (right); Y goes from "don't show" at the bottom to "show" at the top.

In MEB's example the Blend Ranges panel is set up to show the weak pixels (left,top) and hide the strong ones (right, bottom).

5aac1eef79592_ScreenShot2018-03-16at19_45_10.png.4b7eeaaae08764eac7f2fef44185ebd3.png

It's much more subtle than my original flood selection answer, which left some darker brown areas undeleted - I should have been a bit more careful with the tolerance in the flood selection tool.

Hope this makes sense!

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.