You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I agree with haakoo.

Some features work across both apps so it is of value to see Designer questions even if you use Photo. I certainly learned from Designer questions and videos when I only had Photo.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Mandatory tags would be a compromise, such as:

• Platform
    • Mac, Windows, iOS
      • Version (helps with instructions)
  • Designer, Photo, Publisher
    • Version (helps with version specific feature & bugs)

All of this info most people should know or be able to find easily, so a post with all this info just stops having to ask those question dead. People can then search for Windows, 7, Designer, 1.6.x and get a list specific to that. This helps with troubleshooting and potentially cuts down on repeat posts of the same issues.

I don't think many people would complain about this, I mean a few seconds for a clearer post ain't much.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

37 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I mean a few seconds for a clearer post ain't much.

I don't know. More that three seconds and my attention . . . er . . . did you see the news about the snow ?

But seriously, yes it would be nice to have a bit more organisation.

24 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I don't think many people would complain about this, I mean a few seconds for a clearer post ain't much.

Try telling that to some of the people who post to forums like this one! On Serif’s CommunityPlus forums (supporting their legacy ‘Plus’ range of Windows-only software) users creating new threads are asked to choose the product name and version from dropdown lists. There’s a ‘Version not relevant’ option to cover the many cases where it isn’t appropriate to specify a particular version, but it’s very common for users to choose that option although it later transpires that the version is highly relevant. I don’t understand why anyone would choose ‘Version not relevant’ when they’ve run into a problem while using (say) WebPlus X8, but they do!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

59 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Try telling that to some of the people who post to forums like this one! On Serif’s CommunityPlus forums (supporting their legacy ‘Plus’ range of Windows-only software) users creating new threads are asked to choose the product name and version from dropdown lists. There’s a ‘Version not relevant’ option to cover the many cases where it isn’t appropriate to specify a particular version, but it’s very common for users to choose that option although it later transpires that the version is highly relevant. I don’t understand why anyone would choose ‘Version not relevant’ when they’ve run into a problem while using (say) WebPlus X8, but they do!

Easily solved by removing that choice, the irony is it would take as long to select that option as any other, sometimes people need to be taught good habits and help themselves by helping others, tis the way of the universal forum conscience, all hail the forum god 9_9

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The Beatles Awesome Group I have their Discography. OOOOOOH!

39 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

The Beatles Awesome Group I have their Discography. OOOOOOH!

Ooooooh, don’t tell me you’re about to embark on a voyage of discography! :o

Alfred spacer.png

On 16/03/2018 at 1:34 PM, Alfred said:

Ooooooh, don’t tell me you’re about to embark on a voyage of discography! :o

Look, Its been a hard days night, I met Long Tall Sally and now I really need Help! she keeps saying Please Please Me but I'm knackered. Now she's asking to Rubber Soul which I think might be code for something else :$ My heads just Revolver'ing around at the moment, I mean it's like I'm on a Magically Mystery Tour with Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. I really need Something New, so I'm going on: The American Tour With Ed Rudy, I'm meeting him on Abbey Road at 5pm, I've told Sally to Let It Be but she keeps talking about All Our Loving, I told her "The Things We Said Today" means I can't do it again, Not A Second Time anyway. I kissed her and told her I'm going Round The World, me and Ed are going to do an East Coast Invasion then a West Coast Invasion, we'll get there in a Yellow Submarine of all things. As I walked away I turned and I Saw Her Standing There, oh the Misery, she started to Twist And Shout, ed said "She Loves You", I looked at him and muttered Yeah Yeah Yeah ed said "you Ok" I nodded and said I Feel Fine, ed smiled and said I Wanna Hold Your Hand, o.O I gave No Reply. Two years later I sent something to a mate and he gave it to Sally as a Souvenir Of Their Visit To America, Ed dumped me 2 months later; I Should Have Known Better, I was going to go for a walk but Ill Cry Instead. Sigh! lol!

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Look, Its been a hard days night, I met Long Tall sally, and now I really need Help! she keeps saying Please Please Me but I knackered, Now she's asking to Rubber Soul which I think might be code for something else, my heads just Revolver'ing around, its like I'm on a Magically Mystery Tour, with Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, I really need Something New, so I'm going on The American Tour With Ed Rudy, I'm meeting him on Abbey Road at 5pm, I've told Sally to Let It Be, she keeps talking about All Our Loving but I told her The Things We Said Today means I can't do it again, Not A Second Time anyway. I kissed her and told her I'm going Round The World, me and Ed are going to do an East Coast Invasion then a West Coast Invasion We'll get there in a Yellow Submarine of all things. As I walked away I turned and I Saw Her Standing There, oh the Misery, she started to Twist And Shout, ed said She Loves You, I looked at him and muttered Hey Hey Hey ed said you Ok I nodded and said I Feel Fine, ed smiled and said I Wanna Hold Your Hand, I gave No Reply 2 years later I sent something to a mate and he gave it to Sally as a Souvenir Of Their Visit To America, Ed dumped me 2 months later; I Should Have Known Better, I was going to go for a walk but Ill Cry Instead. Sigh! lol!

That's all very well, but Try to see it my way, they are Yesterday's news.

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Easily solved by removing that choice ...

Several problems with that:

1. Many topics are in fact equally relevant to more than one Affinity product.

2. Some users are not even aware that there is more than one Affinity product so they may simply tag anything not specifically about a photograph with the Designer tag.

3. Some users want to be able to browse topics only relevant to the Windows or only to the Mac versions, or only relevant to the Mac or Windows version of one of the apps.

4. OPs often cover several different topics, some relevant to a specific app or platform & some not.

5. It is not unusual for users to add a reply to an existing topic rather than start a new one, & to find that topic via a Google or similar search, so they may not be aware of or pay any attention to how it is tagged. Thus, there will still be a mix of product-relevant & not-product-relevant posts to wade through & the same 'which app or platform are you using' replies when that isn't clear.

Basically, some combination of tags might help a little but probably not enough to justify making them mandatory.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

30 minutes ago, R C-R said:

1. Many topics are in fact equally relevant to more than one Affinity product.

That's a fair statement but it's as relevant to know which OS and Affinity product you are dealing with, I think this is just simply common courtesy really. As Serif Produce more Affinity products this generalising will become more problematic as far as I can see.

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

2. Some users are not even aware that there is more than one Affinity product so they may simply tag anything not specifically about a photograph with the Designer tag.

But they are aware of what product they have so again common courtesy would dictate supplying app and OS info.

40 minutes ago, R C-R said:

3. Some users want to be able to browse topics only relevant to the Windows or only to the Mac versions, or only relevant to the Mac or Windows version of one of the apps.

Don't get this one, isn't this the opposite of what is happening with the forum at the moment i.e. the generalising of info?

42 minutes ago, R C-R said:

4. OPs often cover several different topics, some relevant to a specific app or platform & some not.

But it doesn't hurt to let people know what they are replying to with regard to OS, App and even versions, at least if the info is there, a question need not be asked and the focus is then on dealing with the OP's question.

43 minutes ago, R C-R said:

5. It is not unusual for users to add a reply to an existing topic rather than start a new one, & to find that topic via a Google or similar search, so they may not be aware of or pay any attention to how it is tagged. Thus, there will still be a mix of product-relevant & not-product-relevant posts to wade through & the same 'which app or platform are you using' replies when that isn't clear.

I'm not sure what Tom Jones has to do with this ;) but I think making these few tags mandatory would still be a benefit the forum moving forward, the legacy posts would fall into the reference category eventually.

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

But they are aware of what product they have

They are usually aware, but by no means always! There are many posts from new users looking in vain for the Inpainting Brush Tool, blissfully unaware that they don’t have it because they’re using Affinity Designer instead of Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png

On 16/03/2018 at 4:27 PM, Alfred said:

They are usually aware, but by no means always! There are many posts from new users looking in vain for the Inpainting Brush Tool, blissfully unaware that they don’t have it because they’re using Affinity Designer instead of Affinity Photo.

In which case making them learn which app they have is imperative, well maybe thats a tad strong but you should know what you are using, I mean the splash screen kind of gives it away.