You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I can't copy my selection?

23 minutes ago, owenr said:

I didn't need to know that for your example.

You said: resize a Pixel object, paint on it, and then reverse the resize.

Even at my age my memory is still relatively good, but that does not mean that after resizing something a few times over days or weeks that I will remember its original pixel dimensions. I don't think I am alone in that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, owenr said:

The pre-transform pixel data is maintained in the document, regardless of whether you actually do reverse the transform.

If the pre-transform pixel dimensions are maintained in the document, then where exactly are they stored in it? Skew & rotation of a pixel layer are, but if their pre-transform dimensions (or for that matter their pre-transform x & y values) are as well, I have never been able to find them, unless of course I save the history and/or some snapshots with it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 minutes ago, owenr said:

Think rationally: a Pixel object can be arbitrarily transformed, then the document closed then re-opened, and then the Pixel layer can be "un-transformed", and therefore the Pixel object's original pixels must be stored in the document or there is magic being performed.

Resize a pixel layer, then save & close the document. Now open it again. How exactly do you "un-transform" its size to the original dimensions?

As I said, I can't find any way to do that unless I have saved the History & possibly some snapshots in the document. Otherwise, the only way I I know of to do that is if I have remembered what those dimensions were. IOW, my memory is the only place those dimensions might be stored.

Seriously, if there is some other way to do this that I have overlooked, please tell me what it is. I would appreciate that greatly because as it is I have to resort to time wasting workarounds like copying & hiding the original before resizing it, adding guides for reference, making snapshots, & so on.

Affinity Photo 

I thought that when you first open an image a snapshot is automatically taken of the image

The image's original dimensions will be in that snapshot, would it not?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 minutes ago, owenr said:

I can't help you with reversing an arbitrary scale or move applied to a Pixel object when you haven't taken note of the scale or move parameters.
That doesn't change the fact that Pixel objects are non-destructively transformable, which is what you originally argued against.

What I originally said was:

If you rotate or skew a pixel layer, you can 'undo' those transformations in the Transform panel, but if for example you resize it & then paint something on it afterwards, try resizing it back to its original size.

If you want to interpret that as an argument "against" anything you said that is up to you but it was not my intent. All I wanted to point out was that the original pixel dimensions are "non-destructive" only to the extent that the user provides some way of noting or referencing those dimensions because the app will not do that. I thought that might be something the OP might find useful.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I thought that when you first open an image a snapshot is automatically taken of the image

I am not sure that is always true. I have been going through some .afphoto & .afdesign files I have created over the last year or so & some have a default "Background" snapshot but others do not. I also just tried creating a few new .afphoto documents with just a few brush strokes on a single pixel layer & saving & then reopening them, but none of them have any snapshots. I don't know why that is. :(

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I also just tried creating a few new .afphoto documents with just a few brush strokes on a single pixel layer & saving & then reopening them, but none of them have any snapshots

I think it only occurs if you open an image not on creating a new document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

R C-R,

It only creates a snapshot when you open an image, so you can return to the original later.

By "open an image" do you mean opening a file that was previously saved in a raster image format like JPG, PNG, or GIF? For me, it does do that for those file types but not for other file types like PDF, or for any file type in Designer.

I assume this is the expected behavior, but nothing in the built-in help (for either app) that I can find documents this, leaving me wondering if everything is working as it should in my installed copies of these apps.

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, owenr said:

So what was the relevance of the "paint something on it [the transformed Pixel object]"?

My impression is that you specifically included that clause because you mistakenly believed that the Pixel object's current size would become baked-in by the act of painting on it.

Please note that I also included the phrase "for example." I picked that specific example because I thought it was more typical of a real world workflow than simply resizing a pixel layer twice in a row without doing anything else to it. Perhaps I should have made that clearer but at the time I thought my intent was clear enough.

4 hours ago, owenr said:

That's what happens when you start painting on an Image object because it is rasterised, at its current size, to a Pixel object in order to be paintable.

Curiously, that only happens if the Assistant is enabled and (more than a little confusingly) the "Painting with no layer selected" is set to "Add new pixel layer and paint." That doesn't make much sense to me because this happens when an image layer is selected & it does not add a new pixel layer but as you say instead it rasterizes the image layer. If users have disabled the "Alert when assistant takes an action" option they may not notice what has happened, which can be a big problem if one is trying to maintain a completely non-destructive workflow.

Regarding non-destructive workflows in general, I suppose that means different things to different users, but to me it means avoiding doing anything that loses data (including the previous pixel dimensions of a pixel layer). I believe that is considerably different from the way you were using it, which may be why we are not in agreement about the relevance of doing that in this topic, specifically about what might be driving @sirromz insane about using the Affinity apps.

Affinity Photo 

On 16/03/2018 at 2:56 AM, sirromz said:

So first of all can i say that Affinity is driving me mad! every simple little task is hidden away somewhere! i picked photoplus up in a few days whereas i've been trying to do basic stuff on Affinity for months and nothing seems to do what i want it to! I'm simply trying to copy and paste the selection of an area of an image (which for some reason was automatically made a group?) but when i try to do it, it just makes a copy of the selection lines with nothing inside? I'm getting to that point where i'm going to have to start trying to find something easier to use! (or go back to photoplus for a while). SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!! I'M GOING INSANE!

Sirromz,

Udemy.com is featuring a set of totorial videos, called Solid Foundations.

I upgraded to Affinity Photo from Paintshop Pro. After working through this course of videos you will understand this program and you will be able to work it properly.

I saved all videos on my hard drive, with a number in front of the name and with the example files with the same number. Now I can go back should I need it. You will never look back. The course is giving you a solid foundation in logical order and shows how the interface is working. You practice as you go along.