You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Few day ago I made project in AD when some part are from start rotated on some not typical degree. I have to rotate new object which I want simply rotate on the same angle, but I don't know value of degree. I have some troubles with that. I use navigator and manualy match degree. It was resolve my case, but is any easier way to do that?

Fx. I want place text in "7" with the same degree as one of edge (red line) as I do on attached file.

Typically snapping resolve my issues, bu when something is on not typical degree it's starting more complicated. So then I have another question here. For speedy measuring dimensions I draw rectangles and use navigator. If I want changing size to exactly some fraction on navigator I divide rectangle dimension to get 1/3, 1/4 of my new target size and make new object with snapping to rectangle. Is maybe any simpler way here doing this too?

match_degree.gif

You can use a right-angled triangle to work the degree out see gif below.

5aaaed804931a_findanangle.thumb.gif.c03a89a0b756f0049b42ca735f2e5885.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, affi.usr said:

Thank you for amazing tuts!

As I can't find how calculate inverse tangent on Windows default calculator I use webpage calculator with Inverse tangent. I put small measure as opposite side and... wow! It's really working fine.

In Windows, you open the calculator, Press Alt+2 to get the scientific mode, then to get the inverse trig stuff just press the INV button and you will see the -1 on the tan, sin, cos etc buttons

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1. With the Pen Tool draw a horizontal line from the bottom point of the angle you want to calculate

2. Set the rotation point of the line to bottom/left, then rotate the line in the Transform Tab until it matches the angle and make a note of the angle. (You can use the CTRL + ARROW keys for precision adjustments)

3. Set your text box to the same angle

angle3.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123 My way is more scientific tt2.gif You get to wear a white coat have a clipboard, wear geeky glasses and have a badge that says "I'm a Trigger" ;) 

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

@carl123 My way is more scientific tt2.gif You get to wear a white coat have a clipboard, wear geeky glasses and have a badge that says "I'm a Trigger" ;) 

I thought Trigger was Roy Rogers’ horse! This is the first time I’ve heard of the word being used as a name for someone who does trigonometry.

BTW, you don’t “divide the small number by the large number”, you divide the x (horizontal) value by the y (vertical) value, regardless of which is the larger one. The tangent of an angle is y/x, but that’s when the angle is measured from the horizontal rather than the vertical, which is why they’re swapped around here. (If the ‘7’ were rotated through 90°, dividing the small number by the large number would give you the same answer as you get for the unrotated ‘7’, which is clearly wrong). smartass.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

48 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I thought Trigger was Roy Rogers’ horse! This is the first time I’ve heard of the word being used as a name for someone who does trigonometry.

BTW, you don’t “divide the small number by the large number”, you divide the x (horizontal) value by the y (vertical) value, regardless of which is the larger one. The tangent of an angle is y/x, but that’s when the angle is measured from the horizontal rather than the vertical, which is why they’re swapped around here. (If the ‘7’ were rotated through 90°, dividing the small number by the large number would give you the same answer as you get for the unrotated ‘7’, which is clearly wrong). smartass.gif

Trigger is the road sweeper in only Fools & Horses, his logic cannot be questioned

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

carl123 My way is more scientific tt2.gif

More importantly, give or take using the correct numerator & divisor, the trig-based method is accurate to the limits of the internal precision of the app. That is very high, probably on the order of 1/1000 of a degree or maybe more. Carl's method is visually based & thus far less accurate.

That probably won't matter almost all of the time but occasionally for very high precision work it might. For example, consider this precision rotation.afdesign file. It consists of two lines, both apparently rotated to 62.5° to match the angle of a "7" in the Minion Pro font. I made the green one labeled "imprecise" visually, using a high zoom level & the Transform panel to get the best visual match I could. The red one labeled "precise" was done using the trig-based method, which calculated the angle at 65.2196679853°. I don't know how much of that decimal precision was retained by pasting that into the Transform panel, but it is different enough that when one line is placed on top of the other & the top one's blend mode is set to Erase, the erasure is incomplete & at very high zoom levels you can see that the thickness of the un-erased part varies from end to end. Similar differences occur when the blend is set to Subtract, Negation, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I've always said its the n'th degree that matters lol!

@R C-R

If I manually change your precise object's rotation to 62.5 I still see "the erasure is incomplete"

Why is that?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

59 minutes ago, carl123 said:

@R C-R

If I manually change your precise object's rotation to 62.5 I still see "the erasure is incomplete"

Why is that?

I am not entirely sure, but I think it has something to do with anti-aliasing in the display, because neither line's X or Y positions are pixel-aligned. However, consider this pixel-aligned precision rotation v2.afdesign version with both lines set manually to 62.5° rotation. It is not easy to see but at 800% to 1000% zoom, dragging in the Navigation panel along the path of the lines shows the incomplete erasure is of a consistent width from end to end. In the first version that width varies. I think that demonstrates better that the two lines in the first version are at slightly different angles, while they are not in the second, regardless of anti-aliasing or any other display issue or anomaly.

As an aside, none of this eye-straining high magnification examination would be necessary if the R value in the Transform panel did not truncate values to 1 decimal place, or more generally if the app's display precision of degrees of rotation could be set to a higher value in Preferences > User Interface, like it can be for linear units. If nothing else, it would be interesting to see the maximum number of decimal places the Affinity apps can use before rounding occurs.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Nothing newer than before, I'm afraid… 

But I would mention these assets:

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.