notpill

Selections on flipped canvas

Hi there guys!

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 on iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009) here

I don't know if this is related in any way to this bug or it's a 'by design' choice but this is what I've found:

- Selections are not affected by canvas flipping (see the screenshots). Is this normal?

(btw using "Select/edit selection as a layer" I cannot even flip the canvas :D )

thank you

Schermata 2018-03-15 alle 08.00.08.png

Schermata 2018-03-15 alle 08.00.22.png

Hey notpill,

This is a bit of a tricky one as I'm not sure if this is a bug per se, but it could be an improvement. I was trying to think of a real-world scenario where this would be useful and then I realised your screenshots answer that question.

Currently, you would make a selection around the right-facing arrow, flip the document and then you'd have to deselect the current selection and make a new one. This could then be a slightly different selection. The improvement would be to make the selection follow the flip so you can position the existing selection over the left-facing arrow if for example, you were exporting them as graphics.

I just checked PS and they seem to remove a selection when you flip or rotate so perhaps we could do this better. I'll put the improvement in and see what dev say.

Hi Chris, Thank you for your answer

in the real world, while retouching or painting, using quick selection masks 'on-the-fly' it's a must. Using quick masks AND flipping canvas in painting it's almost the workflow itself. Looking symmetry, drawing some tricky brushstroke... stuff like that. 

On the PS side, this trick come easy with Quick Mask Mode (that tiny euro flag in the tool bar) and flipping canvas involve the mask too, but i cant find any similar command in AP.

Also in AP flipping or rotating canvas is waaaay more satisfying :D so I'm using this function more and more.

As I said in my first post, using "Select/edit selection as a layer" is not a solution.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Currently, you would make a selection around the right-facing arrow, flip the document and then you'd have to deselect the current selection and make a new one. This could then be a slightly different selection. The improvement would be to make the selection follow the flip so you can position the existing selection over the left-facing arrow if for example, you were exporting them as graphics.

When it becomes possible to create a closed curve from a ‘marching ants’ selection, we won’t have this problem. We’ll be able to create a complex selection, turn it into a shape, flip the shape and then turn it back into a selection again.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)