You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Type tool to Move tool Hotkey

Even after assigning a different hotkey to the "Move" tool, it still toggles between Move and "Last Used Tool". Not to sound ungrateful, and it's nothing personal, but this Tool Toggling "feature" is annoying and distracting.

In real life, if I know exactly where my pencil is, and I reach for it, should I have to look closely at the pencil, and make sure that it's not the paintbrush? No. Hotkeys should function the same way. Reaching for my Move Tool should always give me my Move Tool, and reaching for my Text Tool should always give me my text tool.

I think that Affinity is asking too much of their users to expect them to maintain awareness of which Tool they are toggled between.

EITHER THAT, OR there should be a much more apparent indication of what tool that I am toggled between. Yes the "Contextual Toolbar" at the very top of the window changes, as well as the "Status" bar at the bottom of the window, but I'm not looking close enough at them to register, fast enough, which Tool I'm using. (But maybe that's just me).

3 hours ago, metajake said:

I think that Affinity is asking too much of their users to expect them to maintain awareness of which Tool they are toggled between.

Agree. I want my hotkey to function the same every time. Don't punish me for hitting V while unknowingly already on the Move tool.

Same with escaping the text tool. I just wanna hit "esc" once and be done with it. I don't wanna have to be aware of the text-selection status.

30 minutes ago, yeffdaley said:

Same with escaping the text tool. I just wanna hit "esc" once and be done with it. I don't wanna have to be aware of the text-selection status.

Vote +1 for this.

This was my other feedback... Sometimes, in Designer, I feel like I'm drilled down layers deep, and I'm hitting "esc" 3 times to just deselect everything. No property fields highlighted, no text selected, no children of groups. Give me one button that takes me to a "top level", "non-destructive" state (so that I can slap+hold that spacebar and start moving around my canvas fluidly, like I would in real life)!