You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Joining objects without free space between them

This is a known problem that involves how the rasterizing handles the transition between 2 shapes w. the same color. The work around is to add a stroke on the inside of one of the shapes w. the same color. There should be a color swatch from the fill to assign to the stroke color.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I too noticed that with my project. I did use the snapping and it was perfect but then also there was a minor gaping between the two shapes/curves.

How would you fix the issue though relatively without adding the stroke or something?

• Staff

Hi grjusk, adidam,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

In this case another option is to add one node to one of the yellow shapes over the shared edge then drag it over the other shape so part of it overlaps the second shape then performing a boolean operation between the two so they become a single shape since both shapes have the same colour.

Another way to disguise the issue is adding a background shape with the same or similar colour (depending the complexity of the images) as the ones in the foreground below that edge.

@adidam

If both shapes are aligned to the pixel grid and you are dealing with a perfectly vertical or horizontal straight edge those gaps shouldn't be visible at 100% zoom nor should appear in the exported images (assuming you don't rescale them).

28 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi grjusk, adidam,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

In this case another option is to add one node to one of the yellow shapes over the shared edge then drag it over the other shape so part of it overlaps the second shape then performing a boolean operation between the two so they become a single shape since both shapes have the same colour.

Another way to disguise the issue is adding a background shape with the same or similar colour (depending the complexity of the images) as the ones in the foreground below that edge.

@adidam

If both shapes are aligned to the pixel grid and you are dealing with a perfectly vertical or horizontal straight edge those gaps shouldn't be visible at 100% zoom nor should appear in the exported images (assuming you don't rescale them).

Hi, Thanks for the help. I have tested this out just now.

You can see it is showing GREEN LINE of snapping. But then, see below the screenshots.

I-KCCyDATf6otWN4yqRkMw.png

oTfPAOWHRkK2KyZpIAmSKg.png

You can see the shape is coming out of line and there is a gap too.

• Staff

Check the width and height and the X, Y coordinates of that object. Are they integer values? If not then the object is not aligned with the pixel grid letting the background bleed through the antialiased edge. 

The other alternative since both objects have the same colour is performing an Add boolean operation as i explained above so they become a single object.

Regarding the misalignment - how have you created these two objects? Were they perfectly aligned at the beginning? In any case you can tweak their position/align them if you enable snapping.

5 minutes ago, MEB said:

Check the width and height and the X, Y coordinates of that object. Are they integer values? If not then the object is not aligned with the pixel grid letting the background bleed through the antialiased edge.

Height of both the objects are same.

148 px. But then one of the object is coming bigger than the other (in terms of height) which is making such displacement.

How do I fix it?

25 minutes ago, Jon1 said:

In the first post he has drawn a line with arrow.

How do I draw a line with arrow in Designer ?

That is probably an annotation created with SnipTool (Windows) or Previews Markup Toolbar (Mac)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Getting line parallel is easier if you do it vertically or horizontally and then rotate the object to the desired angle. Trying to snap lines at angles is just guessing in Affinity but there are ways to do it. I'll try making a quick tutorial vid in a bit.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff
1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Getting line parallel is easier if you do it vertically or horizontally and then rotate the object to the desired angle. Trying to snap lines at angles is just guessing in Affinity but there are ways to do it. I'll try making a quick tutorial vid in a bit.

It's not guessing. You can use the nodes of the objects and local snapping options to position them precisely.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

It's not guessing. You can use the nodes of the objects and local snapping options to position them precisely.

Maybe I didn't explain the premise of my statement well enough, so...

5aaaa469cba96_ScreenShot1.png.f98a079581285ae478bdb8f4be70eff9.png

On my system it will not snap, so you have to have a guess, albeit an educated zoom in guess. You can work out the angle of the slope using a right-angled triangle and the width, height and tan-1 to get the rotation needed and then use R in the transform panel after snapping the rotation point in step 3.