You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Glyph Browser Improvements

Hi there,

in my opinion, it would be great to have the following three options in the Glyph Browser:

• “Show Selected Font” Checkbox. If engaged, selecting some text in a text frame would bring up the respective font overview in the Glyph Browser. The Glyph Browser could be blank, if texts with more than one fonts were selected, or it could display the font overviews one after another.
  • “Show Selected Glyph” Checkbox. If engaged, the Glyph Browser would jump to the currently selected glyph of the currently selected font.
  • Custom Glyph Lists or Tables. It would be great, if we could create custom glyph lists or glyph tables, and in particular cross-font glyph tables. Adding glyphs to a glyph table should be possible by using a context menu on items of an existing glyph table and by using a context menu or a shortcut on a selection of text. In particular, it should be possible to add all glyphs of a text selection to a glyph table at once, and that means in particular, it should be possible to create a glyph table from all glyphs that are used in a text frame (… or in a story … Publisher is coming … ;)).

What regards the checkboxes, I would love to have the option to select or deselect the mentioned options. In some contexts, it is really useful to have a static glyph table that does not respond to what I am doing in a text frame, as it is currently the case. In other contexts, however, it would be also useful to have the dynamic options I outlined. Please make sure to provide both options. That would be wonderful.

Thank you,

Alex :)

• 4 months later...

I asked for this a few months ago. Besside these you are asking for, I have a suggestion an alternative glyph to be shown when one is selected in text. Also a possibility to "Find/Change" (which I hope will be present in Publisher) ANY glyph from "Glyph Palette", 

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Yes, Petar, let’s hope Publisher will bring some improvements in this area (maybe not in the initial version, but later on, at least). I have never seen a Glyph Browser that would have worked really well. All of them were cumbersome in one respect or another. So I believe there is huge room for improvement and intelligent solutions … :)