You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Library

Hey Guys, long time PS user, 18+ years to be exact. I put off learning Ai for ever and when I finally decided to learn Adobe's business model pretty much put the brakes on that ever happening. To say I am disgusted with Adobe would be an understatement. I have some high hopes for Affinity Designer. I am glad to see aggressive and constant improvements to AD. After spending most of the day getting to know AD I was pleased that I could typically find answers either here or on Youtube. So being that I am here in the Suggestions thread I do have one MAJOR request and one Minor request. 

1) A vector library that I can add to, preferably one that will recognize .csh files that I have accumulated over the years. Some from other users and some I've made myself. We already have the basic basic circle, triangle, square etc etc in AD but we need the ability to save new vector shapes for future use that is easily accessible. It would be great for the vector library to have an open source community data base so we can contribute and share with others. When I design a complex vector shape I appreciate the ability to save it and even improve upon it at will the way that I can in PS. 

2) The ability to put two different / even multiple vector shapes on one layer. Making a new layer every time you create a vector shape can be hell when you have to comb back through a list trying to discover even a minor flaw.

To me those two improvements would put AD in an advanced stage of development. I'd be willing to pay another $50 or even $100 just to have a vector library as an add'on feature. It is that important to me. Thank you and I look forward to growing with this community! CHEERS!

GraphXlord

• Staff

Hi graphxlord,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Take a look at the Assets panel (menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Assets). You can add vector shapes to it for later reuse by dragging them (on the Mac) or by using the small icon menu on the top right of each subcategory on the Assets panel and selecting Add from selection on Mac and Windows (it doesn't support csh files).

2. In Affinity every shape is listed in the Layers panel. These are object layers, not regular layers used to organise/structure your work. For those you have to press the  Add layer icon on the bottom right of the Layers panel ("structural" layers are labelled as "Layer" between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel). The only way to have "two different objects listed in the same object layer" is performing a boolean operation - basically turning them into a single object.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just feel like I got a whole Brand New Program just now, BRO! If you could have seen the look on my face when I discovered the icon / assets list LOL, like I was 10 yrs old on xmas and I just got a daisy rider BB-Gun LMAO xD Best $50 I ever spent LOL Ok so the boolean operation sounds very technical but I'd like to give it a shot. Because if I am designing a bird that has like 200 feathers I'd much prefer they be on the same object layer especially if I am adding to my brand newly discovered vector library :D Could you point me to a tutorial? Thank you again! Loving this program so far :-)