You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Comprehensive image viewer program?

Does anyone know of a good file viewer/organiser program that would suit me? I need to be able to see thumbnails of afphoto, orf (Olympus raw), jpg and tiff files.

* Olympus Viewer 3 can show thumbnails for all except afphoto (and doesn't even show a default icon for them)

* Windows Explorer can show thumbnails for all except orf

* XnViewerMP can show thumbnails for all except afphoto (it detects the presence of an afphoto file but doesn't show a thumbnail)

Hi Hans,

That's a surprise to me, as mine can't -

I've checked in settings and the formats list has everything ticked and there's no list item for afphoto.

I'm using XnView MP Windows, 0.90 64bits (Mar 4 2018)

What am I missing?

Take a look at this Howto to enable thumbnail previews

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks, Hans, but no, I've never used PS, but I do have an unused copy of PSE 11. Do you think that will somehow make a difference? I abandoned PSE as I was fed up with Adobe's upgrade bandwagon, I would have had to buy the program again to read orf files when I swapped to Olympus, as PSE11 didn't support orf. I don't like cloud services and the cost of PS, so Affinity Photo was the perfect answer for me.

Actually no, you've pointed me in the right direction. I've just searched XnViewMP's forum and found this -

https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=33496&p=137929&hilit=affinity#p137890

" Could you please try activating the setting Show all graphic formats in Tools » Settings | General | General? "

I've done that and it works!

Great, many thanks.

Thanks, firstdefence, I was posting the above as your reply arrived. I've looked at your link but already had thumbnails being previewed and was seeing previews as well as thumbnails. I've cycled through the options but to no avail, orf files are not previewed on my computer by Windows File Explorer as far as I can find. Not to worry, a solution has been found using XnViewMP.

Stuart

14 minutes ago, haakoo said:

I will bookmark that post to have it avail when something happens.

No need to clutter up your bookmarks, Hans! Just do as I did to find this thread again: use the forum search facility, choosing xnview as your search term.

As a long-standing user of IrfanView I've never bothered with XnView in the past, but I installed and configured it a few minutes ago just for this feature.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, Ludgateman said:

Thanks for the recommendation - I've also downloaded Xnview for the thumbnail function, something I was looking for without success 'til now.

To be clear, XnView and XnViewMP are close relatives, but they're not the same program.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Just now, IanSG said:

To be clear, XnView and XnViewMP are close relatives, but they're not the same program.

Thanks for the warning - managed to download the correct version (more by luck than judgement:)) and have everything working fine, including displaying *.afphoto thumbnails. Awesome!

4 hours ago, Stuart444 said:

I've just searched XnViewMP's forum and found this -

https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=33496&p=137929&hilit=affinity#p137890

" Could you please try activating the setting Show all graphic formats in Tools » Settings | General | General? "

I've done that and it works!

Thanks very much for that! I have been using the Mac version & was puzzled why some Affinity Photo files showed previews but others did not. Since some did, I never thought about changing that setting to 'show all' but that in fact makes all of them show previews. Yay! :)

But that said, at least for me the Mac version is a bit quirky. For example, after changing settings or display modes sometimes buttons or menu items stop working until I restart the app or change views or toggle a few things on & off. Several features don't seem to work at all, like setting text colors in the browser 'Thumbnails + Labels' view.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7