You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have several DNG files created back in 2008. When trying to open in AP it seems to be loading thumbnail (size 256 x 170 pixels). The actual image is 4288 x 2848 pixels and does open correctly in PS. Is there some magic switch somewhere to make AP load main image instead?

What Operating System are you using and what version of Affinity Photo (APh) are you using?

do you have a sample file we can try this end?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Also, what created the DNG files? 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Jack_M,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Do you mind uploading one or two of the problematic files so we can take a look at this?

You can use this link to upload them directly to us. All files will be deleted after being checked.

Thanks for your report/support.

Hi MEB

I uploaded two files. But I have more if you need.

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Also, what created the DNG files? 

I can't recall. It was back in 2008. I believe it was Photoshop CS 3. Regardless, the file opens OK in Photoshop Elements 2018 today so the information is in the file in a format that PS can understand. I do not know if file meets or does not meet strict Adobe guidelines.

In RawDigger I get "Unsupported file format or not RAW file"

In FastRawViewer I get "Decoding Error".

5aaa20c0be1e7_ScreenShot1.png.1a74feacadf8dcac25765dae4c547615.png

Opens OK in Adobe Camera RAW 10

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I ran your file through Adobe DNG Converter to convert it to a dng file O.o 

Test this file now in Affinity: 2008_05_24_Rozrzucony_mulch_04converted.DNG

5aaa26d213422_ScreenShot1.thumb.png.fc44ef54a9553b5a1fd8ce181a0f5c65.png

On 14/03/2018 at 0:23 PM, Jack_M said:

I have several DNG files created back in 2008. 

I think the problem may be down to an incorrect spec for an earlier version of DNG - some current software doesn't recognise them as DNG files, mainly because they're not!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

16 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I ran your file through Adobe DNG Converter to convert it to a dng file O.o 

Test this file now in Affinity: 2008_05_24_Rozrzucony_mulch_04converted.DNG

5aaa26d213422_ScreenShot1.thumb.png.fc44ef54a9553b5a1fd8ce181a0f5c65.png

Yes, re-coded file does work. It seems that PS DNG codec is more forgiving for standard violation. I once have written TIFF codec and if you follow strictly TIFF standard then many tiffs created by well known software companies files will also fail to open in such strict standard. I guess Affinity team has a chance to see what is causing the issue and possibly improve DNG codec to be more forgiving in the future releases.

37 minutes ago, Jack_M said:

I tried converter, yes it works.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you get the fun of editing those old files. :)

• 2 years later...

Although this topic is two years old, I just recently encountered the same problem: the affinity photo could not open my dng shot by Sigma sdq h.  Honestly, I used to subscribe adobe photoshop suite including lightroom.  I opened those files before using LR. And my thinking is it due to that: opened by LR before and caused the problem.  I can open the recent dng files shot by Sigma fp.