You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi guys, im posting here as i've tried to find the answer to my question but im now really struggling.

I've taken photos of all my new products for my website and im really happy with the quality, however when uploading to facebook they loose far too much quality and even go a little discoloured. 

Now as i can't find any step by step guides on how to export from Affinity and then upload to facebook, i've had to watch a similar video but with photoshop instead. 

IT SAYS....

1. Export at 2048 x 2048
  2. Select SRGB
  3. Reduce file quality so file size is below 100kb

I've uploaded the photo as it appears on my businesses facebook page. Note the discolouration on the concrete heads cheeks. Blurriness of the coloured pots and clock strap. I'm just not happy with it but what do you think? My competitors photos seem to be a little better

Thank you all for any help you send my way, I'm in need of it!

Steve

29063504_1557475854371009_90424566412738560_o.jpg

I'm not clear what the problem is - are you exporting the images in Affinity and getting poor results, or is it only after you've uploaded to Facebook that there's a problem?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Is there a reason why it has to be 2048×2048 pixels? If the file size has to be below 100KB then an image of this size is going to be of bad quality due to high compression. And I can’t think of any circumstance where these dimensions are even used to their full potential. The majority of people are using Facebook on their smartphones with their tiny displays. Even double pixel density doesn’t really matter because people won’t see a big difference (and what good does a high resolution image if it’s of bad quality due to high compression?).

So, if you could do with smaller dimensions (I’d say arbitrarily 1600px max.) it would help you get better image quality because it doesn’t have to be compressed that much to stay below 100KB.

If I download your image it is 215kb! I find that I cannot export it at anything less than 125kb at 0% quality. As you might expect, the quality of this image is execrable.

2048atMink.thumb.jpg.10f845313c92a51280e70dfa4ca690d0.jpg

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, VIPStephan said:

So, if you could do with smaller dimensions (I’d say arbitrarily 1600px max.) it would help you get better image quality because it doesn’t have to be compressed that much to stay below 100KB.

I don’t use Facebook, but I’ve read that 960px is a standard size (which should be more than adequate for most purposes). You could even go down to 720px, which was apparently the maximum size a few years ago.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Facebook Quote:

We automatically resize and format your photos when you upload them to Facebook. To help make sure your photos appear in the highest possible quality, try these tips:
  • Resize your photo to one of the following supported sizes:
    • Regular photos: 720px, 960px or 2048px wide
    • Cover photos: 851px by 315px
    • To avoid compression when you upload your cover photo, make sure the file size is less than 100KB
    • Save your image as a JPEG with an sRGB color profile

https://www.facebook.com/help/1703757313215897/?helpref=hc_fnav

But you can upload pics with 2048px  wide and 5 - 10 MB without any problems. Facebook resize your pics in a good quality.
You can check it any time on your account. switch your privacy (Who should see this?) to ONLY ME ....

MacBook Pro, iMac, Sierra 10.12.6

500px.com/maxxxworld

www.instagram.com/markus_linner

@Maxxxworld Some nice photo's on your instagram thumbup.gif

@SteveSmith I'm one of those viewers who always grumbles under his breath when I get crap images of products, so I know where you are coming from wanting to get the best image viewable. 

Taking images at a smaller resolution before compression is a good choice, there is no point in creating information that is going to be thrown away. This prevents unnecessary compression so you are losing less and retaining more. Considering the world today 100Kb is not a very realistic size for FB to be touting. Personally I would focus more on retaining quality and less on file size, then upload the images and see what happens, if the images look good go and have a Tea and a biccy and have a pat on the back moment ;)

I think 960px is fine for viewing, I don't think 2048px gives you anything more, also remember that a lot of people view on laptops @ 1366 x768 or something like that and will have not much more that a 15.6" screen, Desktopers will have the same or a bit more, and that screen will be set at 1080 x 1920. So, a 2048px image viewed at 100% is going to have to be scrolled. Obviously there are gamers with the mandatory 3 screens at 32" and us Apple bunnies with 27" and retina but the majority will be fine with 960px and even 720px 

Screen Resolution Stats

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Guys you've all been incredibly helpful, thank you very much. Ive been in this mindset (honestly) that 2048 is the higher pixel density which equals better quality. I use a MacBook retina 15" so maybe i notice when the quality isnt there due too lower res images but like a lot of you day most use smart phones. 

9 hours ago, IanSG said:

I'm not clear what the problem is - are you exporting the images in Affinity and getting poor results, or is it only after you've uploaded to Facebook that there's a problem?

Thanks for your comment, the answer is no, im getting great results when i export from affinity, the pics look very professional, its only that social media upload i struggle with and i have GOT to nail this as social media will make up a lot of whats my business is once i go live. 

4 hours ago, Maxxxworld said:

Facebook Quote:

We automatically resize and format your photos when you upload them to Facebook. To help make sure your photos appear in the highest possible quality, try these tips:
    • To avoid compression when you upload your cover photo, make sure the file size is less than 100KB

Thanks for your comment, i read this exact piece from facebook, saw they SUGGESTED 2048 and so i went along with it thinking it must be ok. 

TO EVERYONE

Ok it makes sense now, apologies, im a bit of a newb at this but im learning. Im assuming then that when i upload to instagram, i need to go even smaller (because instagram is purely mobile only)

Thank you guys, any more knowledge to share please feel free, i've got a lot to learn!

6 hours ago, Maxxxworld said:

Facebook Quote:

https://www.facebook.com/help/1703757313215897/?helpref=hc_fnav

But you can upload pics with 2048px  wide and 5 - 10 MB without any problems. Facebook resize your pics in a good quality.
You can check it any time on your account. switch your privacy (Who should see this?) to ONLY ME ....

I have to say your photos are absolutely beautiful. At what size do you upload to insta? i see 500px, is that correct?

Well done

You can save file size if you don’t embed an ICC profile (however, I don’t know what effect this will actually have in a browser; as far as I know nobody has complained so far) and meta data, so that could help, too. Progressive JPEGs can help when loading the images (see https://www.thewebmaster.com/dev/2016/feb/10/how-progressive-jpegs-can-speed-up-your-website/) but this might be irrelevant for Facebook, as they might be processing the image further.

11 hours ago, SteveSmith said:

I have to say your photos are absolutely beautiful. At what size do you upload to insta? i see 500px, is that correct?

Well done

thank you @SteveSmith.  I upload to Insta any sizes. If I edit in AP, I export a file size from 3 - 5 MB in 3000px wide more or less, min 1080px.

500px.com/maxxxworld

3 hours ago, Maxxxworld said:

thank you @SteveSmith.  I upload to Insta any sizes. If I edit in AP, I export a file size from 3 - 5 MB in 3000px wide more or less, min 1080px.

Hang on, im completely confused. So your now saying you upload images to insta at 3000px? Surely thats a massive file size and will get compressed to hell? This is going against what you and everyone has said all throughout this thread isnt it? What and i not understanding here?

Thank you

2 hours ago, SteveSmith said:

Hang on, im completely confused. So your now saying you upload images to insta at 3000px? Surely thats a massive file size and will get compressed to hell? This is going against what you and everyone has said all throughout this thread isnt it? What and i not understanding here?

Thank you

@SteveSmith it depends on what you want. E.g. Insta is a hobby. I don´t check the quality. Sometimes I upload pics 6000x4000px from AP. The compression from Instagram AND Facebook is sometimes very well. If I don´t like the result, I resize the photos, especially when I combine Photos & Text or there are delicate color gradients.
How ever, create a new Facebook Page. But do not publish the page to public! Then test, test, test ... view the results on mobile devices and so on. Only the cover photo makes sometimes troubles.  So I try again and again. 
Most of my photos are exactly the suggested PIXEL sizes, but in HIGH Quality. 

Take a look to my looooooong att. file !!!

Source: websitehub.com

(hope you can read my bad english)

social-media-image-size-2018.jpg

500px.com/maxxxworld

• 3 years later...

Hello All:

What am I doing wrong...I bought Affinity yesterday, edited my first photo and was going to put it on Facebook.  I saved it to my desktop, went to face book, and when I drag it over, NOTHING.  So then I went to insert button on Facebook and tried to import it into a post that way...the picture is grayed out (I cannot pic it)  Do I need to save it differently, and if so, what steps do I need to take to have it an acceptable JPEG format for uploading to the net?

As an additional FYI...just tried to drag the photo here...NOPE, not happening.

22 minutes ago, The Dudester said:

Hello All:

What am I doing wrong...I bought Affinity yesterday, edited my first photo and was going to put it on Facebook.  I saved it to my desktop, went to face book, and when I drag it over, NOTHING.  So then I went to insert button on Facebook and tried to import it into a post that way...the picture is grayed out (I cannot pic it)  Do I need to save it differently, and if so, what steps do I need to take to have it an acceptable JPEG format for uploading to the net?

As an additional FYI...just tried to drag the photo here...NOPE, not happening.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @The Dudester. :)

If you started with a JPEG image and ended up with a single layer after editing, saving the file should result in a JPEG image. Any additional layers will mean that you have something unsupported by the JPEG format, in which case the ‘Save’ command will create a native Affinity file: in order to create a (flattened) JPEG file in this scenario you will need to use the ‘Export’ command.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)