Shaw

Selection Brush not snapping to edges, not selecting what you click on

Hi All,

I am hoping I am not just an idiot and missing something entirely simple. 

When I use the "Selection Brush", Windows, Photo 1.6.4.104 

It does not select what I tell it to select and in NO WAY snaps to edges. 

On screenshot attached I have used the selection brush by dragging around the model, but as you can see all it generally does is select exactly what I went over. 

I have tried to modify brush size. Using faster / slower brush strokes. Limiting strokes to just her skin tone. And finally, used similar images that are less blurry. Nothing seems to get the selection brush working. 

What am I doing wrong here? :(

2018-03-12 (1).png

Look Good, Live Wild, Love Life

- TrYptiX Fashion

Start with an overall selection with the brush.
After that, zoom in closer to the edges and drag with  a smaller brushtip to select a finer edge.

Use alt+brush to have something removed from the selection.

If anything isn't sticking to any edge use ctrl+brush to have it not select an edge

After this you can use the refine option to refine even further

_Hans

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1809)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

Hi Hans,

Thanks for this instruction. Yes I am doing, have done this process dozens of times. I really don't think I am missing something obvious at this point. I do believe affinity is just not working :(. 

This is a blurry photo in which my experience has been poor snapping to edges. However, today, it is not selecting an overall area at all even when limiting my selection to her skin tone. Its as if instead of using the selection brush I am using a paint brush and the only thing selected is what I specifically brush over. 

Do you know of any instructions on how to completely remove affinity and reinstall? I have tried the standard uninstall/reinstall process but that also is not fixing this issue :(

Thanks,

Shaw

- TrYptiX Fashion

Did you use the reset option?

Hold ctrl button when you click the shortcut for APhoto

Keep holding ctrl button until you get a menu where you can reset different settings for the program.

_Hans

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmm I ctrl double clicked on the desktop shortcut, and another program entirely opened? haha Idk

Anyways another fresh uninstall / reinstall and its much better now.

BUT I think one of these two issues really is a bug. I mean, this cant be by design... 

See attached screenshots. This is the same image on both screen shots #2 and #3. However in the second screen where the snap to edges did not work,  the ONLY thing I did differently is also open a RAW image in addition to the JPG. I made no edits to the RAW, nor to the JPG. I simply opened a RAW. 

I then did basically the same three brush strokes. From her face down to her torso, from her face down to her right side, and from her face to her left side (like an arrow pointing up)

You can see, before opening the RAW, the program worked as expected. Snap to edges had no issues. (screenshot #2)

Brightness/Contrast Adjustment to the JPG image. After increasing the brightness and decreasing contrast see the third screenshot. Worst result of snap to edges of all three scenarios. 

Thanks for your help and input!

Shaw

2018-03-12 (2).png

2018-03-12 (3).png

2018-03-12 (4).png

- TrYptiX Fashion

I don't have any problems with the selection brush.

Maybe it's just a matter of what you expect what can or can't be done.

But like everything it is up to your or my personal opion.

_Hans

Hey Shaw,

The selection brush is working fine for me too. I think it's more than likely the image your're working with. Are you able to attach the original image so I can try it my end? It looks pretty dark and there are a lot of shadows, not to mention the white dress and white background. 

Hey all, 

I appreciate your help, but please carefully review what I am stating and what my screenshots look like. I feel I did a good job of explaining my issue and honestly, this seems like a processing power issue. GPU issue or something. 

Please carefully look at the differences above between screenshots 2 (where it worked PERFECTLY) and screenshots 3 and 4. 

In fact, here is the final version I got after continuing with Screenshot 2 above. 

DSC_4047.thumb.jpg.d4a637aa0c9a1a361cada9f2ac5f7c62.jpg

So yes, I think I understand how to use the selection brush, and yes I understand what can be done with it. I guess I mispoke in my first post, I have not used photo in several months but have used the selection brush dozens, maybe a hundred times to cutout backgrounds.... 

Considering this issue only occurs after making adjustments or opening a RAW image, its indicating to me that the program is struggling with more complexity. In my mind maybe a cache issue, or processing power issue. Idk...

- TrYptiX Fashion

@Chris B You are a moderator? Can you please let me know if this is typical of affinity photo? That you are not allowed to use the selection brush after an adjustment, or while a RAW image is also open/being developed in the program? 

Is this typical (non) functionality? 

- TrYptiX Fashion

Hey Shaw,

Having the raw file open alongside a jpeg should not make a difference.

When you add an adjustment, it creates a new layer under your image (if the image is selected) so when you go to use the selection brush, it doesn't know you're on the pixel layer so it will not snap. You have to make sure the layer is selected for it to snap. Alternatively, you can try clicking 'All layers' on the context toolbar which might solve all your woes. 

Ahhha okay now were cooking with fire!

I thought, I tried document>flatten 

as a troubleshooting step

however, I think I only did this step, while a RAW was open!

So I was missing something obvious (not selecting the right layer or at least flattening) 

However, the issue still persists while a RAW is open, even if I have the background layer selected or even only one layer exists. 

So the real issue is that I cannot use the selection brush if ANY RAW image is open in the Development Persona

(once the raw is developed and in the photo persona the issue goes away)

I have attached new evidence on this point. 

What might I be missing now? 

2018-03-15.png

- TrYptiX Fashion

It doesn't even have to involve RAW files.

I just opened two image files (one png, one tif) in Photo, used the selection brush on the png file and it worked as expected. Deselected everything. Clicked on the tab for the tif file, and went into the Develop persona. Clicked on the tab for the png file. Selection brush is very erratic.

Switched back to the tif tab, canceled the Develop persona. Switched back to png tab. Selection brush works as expected again.

It seems that simply having the Develop persona open in some active image affects how the selection brush works in other active images within Photo.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293 Beta

Thanks, Chris. I don't see any sign of a crash, though; just weird behavior of the selection brush.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293 Beta

I am not a crazy person :) 

Thanks for the follow through on this @Chris B and thank you @walt.farrell for taking the time to confirm this as well! 

And I got a valuable reminder from this.

I'll tell myself, pay attention to LAYERS Shawheen! 

- TrYptiX Fashion