Hi,

I have lots of fonts and it slows down the startup of Affinity Photo and designer, because every time it is loading all fonts.

Is there anything I can do to speedup things besides deleting fonts? 

Regards & Thanks,

David

4 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

Is there anything I can do

The forum will find a lot about this problem.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135, Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135. Affinity Store.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.195.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.

Hi All Media Lab,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to solve this issue other than remove some fonts.

Thanks

Callum

I know it’s not a solution but some folks have built an entire career with a couple of fonts, so it might be a good time for deleting some of them.

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

I am just guessing but I doubt the ability to preview or change the font of a text block from the Context toolbar dropdown in (near) realtime, or almost instantly display glyphs in the Glyph Browser, would be possible without opening the installed/active fonts when the app starts up.

So if you typically work with a lot of fonts & like using these near realtime capabilities to improve your workflow, I suspect you will have to bite the bullet & accept the longer startup time as the price for that.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am just guessing but I doubt the ability to preview or change the font of a text block from the Context toolbar dropdown in (near) realtime, or almost instantly display glyphs in the Glyph Browser, would be possible without opening the installed/active fonts when the app starts up.

If you use a font manager as Miguel has suggested, you can load (i.e. temporarily install) a few fonts, or a few dozen fonts, as and when you need them. The Affinity apps automatically update the font cache when a change to the list of installed fonts is detected.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

33 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you use a font manager as Miguel has suggested, you can load (i.e. temporarily install) a few fonts, or a few dozen fonts, as and when you need them. The Affinity apps automatically update the font cache when a change to the list of installed fonts is detected.

I was not sure if the active fonts were updated in real time on Windows like they are on Macs, so it is good to know that they are. :)

On Macs, you pretty much have to keep about 115 system level fonts activated at all times to avoid stability or other issues, so typically you would have at least 100+ fonts open, but that should not affect app startup times appreciably.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I was not sure if the active fonts were updated in real time on Windows like they are on Macs, so it is good to know that they are. :)

I’m not sure whether the behaviour is the same on a Mac, but on Windows you have to close and reopen the current document to make the newly installed fonts available. That’s still greatly preferable to closing and reopening the entire app.

On Macs, you pretty much have to keep about 115 system level fonts activated at all times to avoid stability or other issues, so typically you would have at least 100+ fonts open, but that should not affect app startup times appreciably.

Much the same applies to Windows.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Besides removing them, you can also consider using a font manager to load/unload fonts as needed. This way you can keep a minimum number of fonts installed and have them all available when necessary.

On osx you do not need an extra-fontmanager, you can use the native fontmangaer and deactivate all fonts you do not need (or trash them, but be aware of system-fonts).

BTW you can smart-folder-like organise your fonts (serif, sans-serif, calligraphy,FX, dingsbat...) and AP will give you this "folder-structur", but unfortunately just via the sign-tab, not directly from the text-context-bar. Its a powerful feature, much better than AP just favorite-system!

OSX 10.13.5  / iMac Retina 27" / AMD Radeon R9 M380

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’m not sure whether the behaviour is the same on a Mac, but on Windows you have to close and reopen the current document to make the newly installed fonts available.

That isn't necessary on Macs, at least when using Apple's font manager (Font Book). Any font you enable in Font Book immediately becomes available in the current document. Font Book will not let you disable system fonts, although it will allow you to disable user fonts (or library fonts if you have admin privileges) even if they are in use in an open document. Affinity responds to this by putting a ? in front of the font in the Context toolbar in realtime, indicating it is now a missing font.

On Macs, deactivated fonts remain installed so it is really more about which ones need to be open for read access at the application level, if that makes any sense.

I opened my font folder in Windows Explorer with a view to purging lots of surplus fonts. It gave me the option of hiding a font (as an alternative to deleting it). I hid about 60% of my fonts in the hope of shortening startup time, but I have not noticed a diminution in this.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and Designer 1.6.5.123, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

25 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I opened my font folder in Windows Explorer with a view to purging lots of surplus fonts. It gave me the option of hiding a font (as an alternative to deleting it). I hid about 60% of my fonts in the hope of shortening startup time, but I have not noticed a diminution in this.

John

I don’t think hiding fonts in Windows does anything useful beyond shortening the font dropdown list in applications which properly support the feature.

Alfred online2long.gif

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

I don’t think hiding fonts in Windows does anything useful beyond shortening the font dropdown list in applications which properly support the feature.

Does Windows have anything like the Mac's built-in ability to activate or deactivate fonts on-the-fly? If so, maybe that could be used to both reduce startup times & avoid having to close & reopen currently open documents for newly activated fonts to become available. If not, I assume at least some third party Windows font managers might, so as MEB said one of them may provide a means to do both of these things.

Win Font Installation and Deletion ...

To temporarily install a font, call AddFontResource or AddFontResourceEx. These functions load a font that is stored in a font-resource file. However, this is a temporary installation because after a reboot the font will not be present.

... there are a bunch of little font load/unload tools which make use of the above temporary font loading methods.

... and so on.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Good evening, everyone,

For me, on Windows 10, some time ago I went from 1400 fonts installed to 488 (currently): Affinity Designer's loading time has been halved on my small configuration.
I have a font management software and I don't regret taking the time (I had several different software over the years and I didn't use them in this way, they were only used for font previewing) to organize my library.

I've just reinstalled windows 10 on my laptop (Core i3, 10GB RAM, Samsung SSD) and tried loading Affinity Designer and Photo. By default Windows has 185 fonts installed and I added just 13 more.

My load times are roughly 25 seconds for Designer and 21 Seconds for Photo. I think this is slow, especially considering its a fresh Windows install. In fact, I can start up my laptop from cold in under 30 seconds, so is there something going on regarding the font handling that differs from other, quicker loading apps?

The splash screen does spend most of its time on the 'Loading Fonts...' bit, but surely I have around the bare minimum for a Windows PC?

1 hour ago, Checkmate said:

I've just reinstalled windows 10 on my laptop (Core i3, 10GB RAM, Samsung SSD) and tried loading Affinity Designer and Photo. By default Windows has 185 fonts installed and I added just 13 more.

My load times are roughly 25 seconds for Designer and 21 Seconds for Photo. I think this is slow, especially considering its a fresh Windows install. In fact, I can start up my laptop from cold in under 30 seconds, so is there something going on regarding the font handling that differs from other, quicker loading apps?

The splash screen does spend most of its time on the 'Loading Fonts...' bit, but surely I have around the bare minimum for a Windows PC?

You should find that 1.7 (now in beta) will be much faster at loading the fonts.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.270 Beta

I hope so...it's really annoying waiting for Photo to wake up.

I can already see from the beta that load times have improved by about 20% - hopefully even better with the final release.

Also there's a nice new splash screen to look at - never was a fan of the old one :-D