Jump to content
R C-R

Pencil Effect Macro

Recommended Posts

This Sketch effect.afmacro is my attempt to convert the technique demonstrated in the Affinity Revolution Transform any Photo into a Pencil Drawing (Affinity Photo Tutorial) into a useful Affinity Photo macro. These are the steps I came up with:

5aa667b614e8d_macrosteps.png.12827ab22b744bf7584ded9ee8969342.png

Since the first step selects the top layer regardless of its name or type, for best results it should be the only layer in the document & a pixel layer. The macro does not alter this layer so if you don't like the effect you can delete the layers it creates. The two user adjustments adjust the radius of the Gaussian blur & the Black Level of the Levels Adjustment layer. They can be tweaked after the macro is applied in the usual way. Adding some saturation back to the HSL "_desaturate" layer creates a colored pencil effect.

 

A couple of 'before & after' examples of what you can expect:

5aa66f5c6a734_ExampleBuildings.png.271f29a0a4c868ad5f7b16438d84f1dc.png 5aa66f64205b5_ExamplePortrait.png.9b2398d2e57c218a50f8dc97f92921f3.png

 

Comments, criticisms, & questions welcomed.


Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 40GB RAM; macOS 10.15.6
Affinity Photo 
1.8.4.186 & Affinity Designer 1.8.4.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 14.0.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just installed and tried, very impressed R C-R.  Thank you very much for sharing. Cheers John


Please be aware that NSA/GCHQ are probably admiring my sent images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad you like it but thanks really should go to Affinity Revolution for the video -- all I did was adapt what I saw in it to a macro.


Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 40GB RAM; macOS 10.15.6
Affinity Photo 
1.8.4.186 & Affinity Designer 1.8.4.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 14.0.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice!:)


AD 1.8.5.703+ Beta AD 1.9.0.815 | APh 1.8.5.703 + Beta AP 1.9.0.815
APu 1.8.5.703 +Beta Apu 1.9.0.798

OS:Windows 10 Pro 2004 OS Build 19041.572 + Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 20.5.1 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I am having a problem getting Affinity Photo (iPad) to recognise this macro file. Any suggestions?


IPad Pro 10.5/512GB   lpadOS 14.0 1 Apple Pencil (1st gen), Affinity Photo 1.8.4.186,  Affinity Photo beta1.9.0.199 Affinity Design 1.8.4.4, Publisher for iPad (21st century)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Hi, I am having a problem getting Affinity Photo (iPad) to recognise this macro file. Any suggestions?

 

It’s greyed out when I try to import it ‘as is’. If I rename it from *.macro to *.macros it becomes available for import and it seems to import correctly, but I can’t find it in the Macro studio.

 

I think it may need to be exported via the Library panel rather than the Macro panel in the desktop version to make it available for use in the iPad version.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.7 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if all desktop macros can be used with the iPad version but you can try this Sketch.afmacros version, which was exported from the Library panel & see if it works.


Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 40GB RAM; macOS 10.15.6
Affinity Photo 
1.8.4.186 & Affinity Designer 1.8.4.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 14.0.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't know if all desktop macros can be used with the iPad version but you can try this Sketch.afmacros version, which was exported from the Library panel & see if it works.

 

That did the trick. Many thanks!


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.7 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi R C-R, great macro, gives very nice drawings. Thank you for sharing.
Greetings Dieter


Germany, Affinity Photo WIN 1.7 , LR6, WIN10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 1nf0t3ch,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Since this is an afmacro file (without an "S" at the end) - which contains the steps of a single macro - you have to import it from the Macro panel (not the Library which is used to import a set of macros - an .afmacros file). So go to menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Macro to enable this panel, click the Import icon on the top right of the panel and select the .afmacro file. To add it to the Library for later re-use click the second icon on the group on the right on the Macro panel.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 5:12 PM, MEB said:

Hi 1nf0t3ch,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Since this is an afmacro file (without an "S" at the end) - which contains the steps of a single macro - you have to import it from the Macro panel (not the Library which is used to import a set of macros - an .afmacros file). So go to menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Macro to enable this panel, click the Import icon on the top right of the panel and select the .afmacro file. To add it to the Library for later re-use click the second icon on the group on the right on the Macro panel.

  

Thank you so much. I will try this out!

It worked very well!

Thank you again!

Regards,

Ros

Edited by 1nf0t3ch
Update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 7:20 AM, R C-R said:

This Sketch effect.afmacro is my attempt to convert the technique demonstrated in the Affinity Revolution Transform any Photo into a Pencil Drawing (Affinity Photo Tutorial) into a useful Affinity Photo macro. These are the steps I came up with:

5aa667b614e8d_macrosteps.png.12827ab22b744bf7584ded9ee8969342.png

Since the first step selects the top layer regardless of its name or type, for best results it should be the only layer in the document & a pixel layer. The macro does not alter this layer so if you don't like the effect you can delete the layers it creates. The two user adjustments adjust the radius of the Gaussian blur & the Black Level of the Levels Adjustment layer. They can be tweaked after the macro is applied in the usual way. Adding some saturation back to the HSL "_desaturate" layer creates a colored pencil effect.

 

A couple of 'before & after' examples of what you can expect:

5aa66f5c6a734_ExampleBuildings.png.271f29a0a4c868ad5f7b16438d84f1dc.png 5aa66f64205b5_ExamplePortrait.png.9b2398d2e57c218a50f8dc97f92921f3.png

 

Comments, criticisms, & questions welcomed.

nice work! Thank you!  Yes, Ezra Anderson does great tutorials. I miss hearing his cheerful voice and seeing his 'fresh from rumspringa' face that he has. His wife does just as great a job with narration though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just tried this on a tileable image. The Pencil effect works well and does what I want, except that it creates a dark vignette around the image which shows clearly if I then tile the image. However, if I create my tiled image first, then apply the macro, the vignette is confines to the outsides and I can trim this off if I wish.

John


Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8,5 Designer 1.8.5 and Publisher 1.8.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi R C-R,

I've been trying to use your macro to make a colour photo look like a b & w sketch, but I'm having trouble.  Would it work differently with the updated version of Affinity Photo?  It's brilliant that you have put this on the forum.

Do you have advice for doing this?  I'm trying to change a nature photo, so I want to keep a lot of the detail, but I'm really struggling.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Debbie

KF female, no bg.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jumblemania said:

Would it work differently with the updated version of Affinity Photo? 

When I run it in 1.8.2 on my Mac, I get a message saying that the Assistant upgraded the legacy effect, but other than that it works fine for me.


Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 40GB RAM; macOS 10.15.6
Affinity Photo 
1.8.4.186 & Affinity Designer 1.8.4.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 14.0.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Slotcar Bob said:

Not sure how to install. AP or AD? I have both. Thank you. Excited to try. Using Mac OS with Catalina.

Macros are exclusive to Affinity Photo. And as it's a .afmacro file (no s on the end) you import it into the Macro studio panel.

image.png.e42e8c92c4565359d185ee180c6bacf2.png


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.815 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.815 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.798 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Macros are exclusive to Affinity Photo. And as it's a .afmacro file (no s on the end) you import it into the Macro studio panel.

If you prefer to import it into a Library category of its own, you can use the macros version in this post above.


Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 40GB RAM; macOS 10.15.6
Affinity Photo 
1.8.4.186 & Affinity Designer 1.8.4.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 14.0.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.