You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Undead Robot Character design

avo

The robot who was once destroyed and sometime after re-animated by the evil will of technomancer. This guy is like a zombie but made of steel. 

Used new for me method of inking - vector brushes without any pressure sensitivity at all. You just create the shape you need and make a brush out of it. Having some brushes made in this manner results in nice and natural looking inks. The reason for using them is actually better predictability of strokes and much higher speed. The brush engine just does not spend time calculating size and opacity variability and you get much faster inks. For many inking tasks this is more than enough. 

Have you been using this method? How you feel about it?

Undead-Robot.jpg

Снимок экрана 2018-03-12 в 1.34.17.png

Follow me on Dribbble

https://dribbble.com/g-avoyan

Just built a few brushes using your technique..interesting method and it is certainly quick and smooth. Also gives you the option of adding 'distress' (irregular edges) to a brush. Something that would be very useful.

The only downside is that you do not appear to be able to expand the stroke!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

3 hours ago, Stuart_R said:

Just built a few brushes using your technique..interesting method and it is certainly quick and smooth. Also gives you the option of adding 'distress' (irregular edges) to a brush. Something that would be very useful.

The only downside is that you do not appear to be able to expand the stroke!

Yes, as with all texture intensity brushes these strokes cant be expanded. 

Another plus is that you don't have to choose controller type, which I usually forgot to do. Every time having AD just launched I started to use the brush with the controller set to none, pressed cmd+z few times to cancel those strokes I've just done, went to controller drop-down menu, chose pressure and made those strokes again ) Now I have working brushes right from the start )))

Follow me on Dribbble

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Nice tip @avo. It does seem to lead to great results as your work show. Amazing job :) 

Thanks for sharing (both the tip and the artwork!).

Thanks! It is a pleasure to work with your app, been using it for almost three years already and love it more and more! 

Follow me on Dribbble

8 hours ago, avo said:

Yes, as with all texture intensity brushes these strokes cant be expanded. 

Another plus is that you don't have to choose controller type, which I usually forgot to do. Every time having AD just launched I started to use the brush with the controller set to none, pressed cmd+z few times to cancel those strokes I've just done, went to controller drop-down menu, chose pressure and made those strokes again ) Now I have working brushes right from the start )))

I did notice the speed improvement. Even though they cannot be expanded. I am sure it's certainly a useful technique for raster work.

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

On 3/12/2018 at 9:36 AM, avo said:

vector brushes without any pressure sensitivity at all. You just create the shape you need and make a brush out of it. Having some brushes made in this manner results in nice and natural looking inks.

I think it was in the Sherlock Holmes stories that this is mentioned as a mark of genius: clear ideas, obvious to hindsight but not to foresight.

Thank you for sharing!

10 hours ago, Stuart_R said:

I did notice the speed improvement. Even though they cannot be expanded. I am sure it's certainly a useful technique for raster work.

Well, there is a workaround too - just draw the inks and then trace it in something like Cocoapotrace. Rather accurate results. I wish AD had its own tracing persona or something... 

Follow me on Dribbble