You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature :- Designer, Clone Vector Objects

I downloaded and used the trial right when the product was announced, but I found it missing a lot of the essential tools I use for designing. I do however revisit the website and this forum from time to time and its very refreshing to see a software developer being so open with its features roadmap and in its interaction with its users. Long may it continue. And being as I am in the same city as Serif I have a vested interest in seeing that they succeed in this market.

I will unfortunately not be converting from CorelDraw any time soon until Designer gets a Clone tool for vector objects. This is a fundamental to my workflow, the ability to create mirrored symmetrical shapes and only have to edit the master shape for the clones to automatically update. CorelDraw does this very well indeed, it could be better as its not been updated for 15years, but it does work.

The other thing I would need is an ability to trace a bitmap (or indeed a vector trace tool to create filled holes from areas bounded by curves) though I do note this is on the roadmap.

Import filters would be great too. I have thousands of lineart drawings in .cdr format that i'd love the ability to import, but I guess I can get round that with intermediate formats like pdf or eps.

Hywel Harris

www.ladybayartglass.co.uk

3 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

designer has no clone tool, but you can get the same result with symbols.

made with 2 symbols

I was just about to try the same and I think for @Hywel Harris question this is a possible answer.

You've beat me by the minute :)

And by the way, welcome to the forum Hywel Harris.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

One of the reasons why I don't like symbols in CorelDraw (and much prefer clones) is that whilst editing a symbol, the remaining parts of the drawing are hidden so you never get to see your edits in context, which for me is very important. It seems AD doesn't do that so thats a plus.