Wickster

ALT+Drag then Undo Problem

When you do a clone via ALT+dragging an object and then pressing undo, will undo the move but does not undo the cloning. So it's easy to miss that you now have a clone on top of the original.

I'm using Designer 1.6.4.104

Totally agree. I have ended up with many unwanted clones many times because of this 'feature'.

From the user's perspective a drag duplicate is a single operation, so it seems illogical that it doesn't undo as a single operation too.

This issue has definitely been brought up in the past…

Back in 2016 Andy (lead developer) stated that it was a poor design decision, as suggested that it would (possibly) be changed. 

It has come up regularly, most recently less than a week ago!

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

ScreenToGIF (Open Source, Portable, ~610kB)

17 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

From the user's perspective a drag duplicate is a single operation,

No, it is single "action", but "double" operation, as it is in the history list.

Pressing Ctrl + C, and Ctrl + V, and Transform/change position is three action, but still just two operations, and therefore two steps undo.

Perhaps it is not user-friendly, but certainly logical and functionally consistent.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135, Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135. Affinity Store.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.195.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.

@Pšenda You are correct: As currently implemented the single user action does perform a double operation (with two entries in the history "Duplicate" and "Transform"). And to that end the two undos is indeed logical and consistent.

However…

Users are consistently saying that they find the behaviour unhelpful and counter-intuitive - some assume that it is a bug.

Nobody is saying that they like the double undo.

Nobody has given an example as to why this behaviour is useful, including the developers who acknowledge that what seemed like a good idea, was in fact a bad design choice.

It is also inconsistent with how similar operations work in other applications. I just tried a mouse-based duplicate & transpose in…

• Adobe Illustrator
  • Xara Designer
  • SketchUp Make
  • Microsoft Word
  • Microsfot Excel
  • Cockos REAPER
  • Avid Sibelius

None of the above record two separate operations, and as such all can reverse the action with a single undo.

Surely it would be an improvement to simply log the Ctrl+Drag Duplicate action as a single operation ("Drag Duplicate"  or similar). Then a single undo will be both consistent and useful; logical and intuitive.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

ScreenToGIF (Open Source, Portable, ~610kB)

1 hour ago, Aammppaa said:

Then a single undo will be both consistent and useful; logical and intuitive.

Both of those four things?? :P

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

9 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

Surely it would be an improvement to simply log the Ctrl+Drag Duplicate action as a single operation ("Drag Duplicate"  or similar)

In fact, there is no problem in "duplication", but in its connection with "transformation," when these two different operations want to return with a single undo.

The name of this specific (only for these cases used) complex operation, should be "Duplicate with Transform".

Personally, however, I think it will be just as confusing for many users. When returning history (not according to the list of steps), they will not remember and distinguish how they performed the duplication, and therefore how much undo steps will be needed.

It will be practical only for immediate use of undo.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135, Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135. Affinity Store.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.195.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.

15 hours ago, Pšenda said:

but certainly logical and functionally consistent.

NO. :)

12 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

Surely it would be an improvement to simply log the Ctrl+Drag Duplicate action as a single operation ("Drag Duplicate"  or similar). Then a single undo will be both consistent and useful; logical and intuitive.

Totally agree. I have created a lot of unnecessary duplicates that I accidentally create(. This function must be fixed.

In Pablisher function "CTRL-Z" undoes two actions(copy and move)!:17_heart_eyes:. So why in the Designer we need to continue to press two times?!:49_triumph:

That's really annoying. Such operations(cloning at the same time with drag and drop) anywhere cancel both actions.

3 hours ago, maksimon said:

In Pablisher function "CTRL-Z" undoes two actions(copy and move)!:17_heart_eyes:. So why in the Designer we need to continue to press two times?!:49_triumph:

That's really annoying. Such operations(cloning at the same time with drag and drop) anywhere cancel both actions.

Publisher is running off the newer 1.7 code base, but released Designer is 1.6. I can confirm however that this has also been fixed in Designer 1.7 so you will see this get sorted soon! :)