Sign in to follow this  
hifred

Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 tablet issues

On 3/7/2018 at 4:53 PM, Uwe367 said:

In case of graphic tablets..... I have an old Wacom ET-0405-U and this works great with Photo an Designer 1.6.4 :)

I can not at all agree with this statement.
For me the poor optimization for Wacom products in Affinity Photo is one of the few mayor reasons to still stick to Photoshop CS6. One really can feel (and see in the
(otherwisely awesome) video tutorials that the program is made by Mouse users. I and others have said this before –  the still missing support for Hover Click (available
for all Wacom devices for at least a decade) is just painful. Hover Click could make Pan and Zoom and interactive Tool Size / Hardness Falloff changes so much more
intuitive and controlled as they currently are.

Using the bracket keys for resizing tools generally doesn't fit a pen based workflow (also square brackets are well hidden on German and other non Querty keyboards).

The current keyboard based implementation (Alt+LMB+RMB) already feels awkward with the mouse. Pen users however needs to actually touch! the Screen (as LMB
is mapped to the Pen Tip) and thereby risk to spoil the Artwork. Hopefully the Modifier issues a Mode-Change - but if the keystroke doesn't register you have layed down
some ink and have to Undo. Please try to visualize what I just explained and you will understand why doing such this is completely against the nature of likely most Pen
users.

With the latest Beta the Alt+LMB+RMB  implementation stopped working with Pens (while it still works with the Mouse).

Could you please (instead of repairing the #!@?!&$! current implementation) look into hooking up Hover-Click before Version 2 appears?
The feature gives access to the same pen driven Tool property changes inside Photoshop or Zbrush or 3DCoat and other programs but one
does not risk to spoil the artwork.

Feel free to drop me a PM, in case you need further explanation or a quick demo-clip.
Attached is a screenshot of the Hover-Click section inside the Wacom-Driver.

2018-03-10_16h47_00.jpg

@hifred

Bugs affecting the release build belong in that forum rather than this beta forum.

I have moved your last 2 posts from the beta 104 beta thread to the "Bugs on Windows" forum as we do not have any betas running at the moment and build 1.6.4.104 which was the last beta, is also the current release build. 

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

2 hours ago, hifred said:

Using the bracket keys for resizing tools generally doesn't fit a pen based workflow (also square brackets are well hidden on German and other non Querty keyboards).

Hello hifred,
I do not use Wacom graphics tablet, but in Affinity-Photo and Photoshop  
can you set the tools individually to adjust. My Huion graphics tablet
also has its difficulties with the German keyboard layout, but I can  all
express keys and function keys on the graphics tablet is individually to adjust

I have all Graphics tablet driver and phototo programs so adjusted
that all programs with the same assignment layout works.
I think that should be feasible with a Wacom.

Einstellung.PNG

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135 :  Affinity Photo-Beta  1.7.0.333 :     Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 : Affinity Designer-Beta 1.7.0.333:

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.7.0.337:       Windows 10 Pro  (Version  1809 Build 17763.437)

Hi Gnobelix,
thanks for your comment and screenshot!
I am actually aware of that option – these custom hotkeys could serve as  a replacement for the bracket keys, in cases when they
are not easily available.

To be honest, I don't want to work that way – I am used for years to a far superior behaviour.
If one sets things up the way you suggest one needs two separate hotkeys to resize the tooltip and needs another two for changing the falloff.
Such is too cumbersome for my taste.

All of this functionality combined is already available – with that LMB-RMB + ALT Combo + drag left/right/down/up.
But Affinity requires Tablet/Pen Display users to actually touch the device with the nib. That's nasty, but it could easily get avoided when they
hooked up a helpful and widely supported Wacom-driver feature.

With the latest version I can't use Pen input anyway, as shown in my clips it is completely broken on my machine.