You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Workflow Lightroom > AP > Lightroom

Hello,

I use the "Edit in..." option in Lightroom, to optimize my workflow.

1) Which are the best settings for AP to use? I've now copied the standard Photoshop settings, which were already in de preferences panel. It works, but I don't know if these are the optimal settings to use.

Schermafbeelding_2015_02_18_om_19_10_56.

2) From photoshop the edited image 'returns' to Lightroom. This doesn't seem to work with AP. Is this 'by design' or am I doing something wrong? I'd love to see that the edited image is presented as a edited image in Lightroom when I'm finished in AP.

Thanks for your help!

Remco

Having used Lightroom with some other apps like, I think I see the problem.

While Lightroom can open an image in Affinity, how should the finished document be returned to Lightroom so you can see it there?

If it is returned as an Affinity document, it cannot show up in Lightroom. (Affinity file format not supported by Lightroom.)

If it is returned as a TIFF, Affinity has to do an Export to TIFF, not a Save. That would create a second file. And if it exports to TIFF, it will probably have to be flattened and lose all Affinity layers and effects.

Either Adobe needs to add Affinity format support (unlikely), or Affinity needs to have a way of saving in a format like layered TIFF that Lightroom can read without losing full Affinity editability.

Correct!

I understand LR doesn't eat .afphoto files and I agree, it's most unlikely Abode will ever support it. But AP does have an option to save (export) to TIFF, the format LR uses interacting with photoshop.

Photo's are flat when they are sent from Lightroom to AP, aren't they? So personally I don't mind if it's the same "on their way back". I don't need layers in Lightroom, so a flat TIFF would do fine (for me at least)... 

The workaround for now is:

1) "Edit in..." from Lightroom > AP

2) Retouched image exported from AP to TIFF

3) Import in Lightroom. 

Step 2 & 3 are automated when using photoshop when you press "Save". It just appears back in Lightroom, as a second file.

Would be great if this could be done from AP!

Perhaps I am misunderstanding and, if so, I apologize. But I don't really see the problem.

I have LR 4 on my system and I have used it with AP without any problem. I configured LR4 to send a tiff to AP, edited the photo in AP and Saved it. The resulting image shows back up in LR4 without having to import it. LR pairs the tiff it created to send to AP with the raw image and, when I Save in AP, it over-writes the tiff and that new image automatically shows up in its changed form in LR4.

LR works this way with most every external editor I have used with it - Elements, PhotoLine, Acorn and Affinity Photo. But you may have to Save the image in AP for this to work rather than using Export (I have not actually tried using Export but I know Save works).

If you have loaded a raw file into AP to edit and then press Save it attempts to save it as an aphoto because it does not know how to write out your raw image in its original raw format, but if you have a standard format like tiff a Save will just re-save the file in that format and LR4 should just automatically re-import it.

As I said, if I misunderstood your question I apologize.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding and, if so, I apologize. But I don't really see the problem.

I have LR 4 on my system and I have used it with AP without any problem. I configured LR4 to send a tiff to AP, edited the photo in AP and Saved it. The resulting image shows back up in LR4 without having to import it. LR pairs the tiff it created to send to AP with the raw image and, when I Save in AP, it over-writes the tiff and that new image automatically shows up in its changed form in LR4.

LR works this way with most every external editor I have used with it - Elements, PhotoLine, Acorn and Affinity Photo. But you may have to Save the image in AP for this to work rather than using Export (I have not actually tried using Export but I know Save works).

If you have loaded a raw file into AP to edit and then press Save it attempts to save it as an aphoto because it does not know how to write out your raw image in its original raw format, but if you have a standard format like tiff a Save will just re-save the file in that format and LR4 should just automatically re-import it.

As I said, if I misunderstood your question I apologize.

THANK YOU FOR WAKING ME UP!!!

I must have been sleeping, the last couple of days. Just tested again, and  :huh: ...ûh it works!! I'm not sure what I did wrong in my previous encounters, but it works the way it should and as I expected (see attachment). WOW, I'm stunned to see it work now as it didn't before! 

Can you comment on my previously posted export preferences. Are they okay?

Thanks!

LR-AP-LR_TEST.mov

I must have been sleeping, the last couple of days. Just tested again, and  :huh: ...ûh it works!! I'm not sure what I did wrong in my previous encounters, but it works the way it should and as I expected (see attachment). WOW, I'm stunned to see it work now as it didn't before! 

Can you comment on my previously posted export preferences. Are they okay?

Thanks!

Glad to have been of some help.

As to your settings, I am hardly an expert, but they are the same settings I use with 2 exceptions.

I know that 240 dpi is the default in LR but I think that depends upon what you intend to do with the images. If you are going to print them I believe that 300 dpi is the most commonly used. I rarely print so I use the setting suitable for the laptop display I use and that is 72 dpi. I think the only visual difference would be in the size of the output image. And I do not zip my files for two reasons. First, I don't need to save any space because the tiffs are only temporary on my system and are removed after I have finished processing the images and because I don't wish to spend the time having the machine zip and then unzip them. 

Given today's machines, their memory and their speed it may be unimportant if the files are zipped or not and, as I said, I use a lower resolution because it is my impression that 72 dpi is appropriate for displays like that on my MacBook Pro. But I am no expert so you should ask for a second opinion.

You added some text in your movie, but I didn't see Affinity ask you to save the document. Was the saving step not shown? Because when I send a TIF from LR to AF and add text or an adjustment like Curves, when it is time to save something must be done with those feature layers. Did you choose to flatten them or did you Save As an Affinity format document?

And when you have your edited version in LIghtroom, can you open that up again in Affinity and edit the text?

You added some text in your movie, but I didn't see Affinity ask you to save the document. Was the saving step not shown? Because when I send a TIF from LR to AF and add text or an adjustment like Curves, when it is time to save something must be done with those feature layers. Did you choose to flatten them or did you Save As an Affinity format document?

And when you have your edited version in LIghtroom, can you open that up again in Affinity and edit the text?

Sorry, it didn't show... used the keyboard (CMD+S) to save, before closing the document (CMD+W) so Affinity didn't have to ask me anything.

I haven't tested if I could edit the text(layer) again when editing the document for the 2nd time in AP (from LR), will do that for you and post the result. As said, for me this is not very important. When I'm finished with a photo I save it as a 100% jpg and I also keep the 'non-destructed' RAW files in a safe place. The TIFF is going to the bin when I'm finished in LR, I don't keep them. I only collect and post-process photo's in LR, not artwork; so once finished I don't need editable files anymore. 

p.s. please forgive me for my English, it's not my native tongue and sometimes things are a bit hard to explain...

@MikeFromMesa, Thank you very much for your help!! :)

[...]

And the answer is no, individual layers are not kept and the image is flattened (see attachment). I've also tested 'Edit original' and 'Edit a copy', same results.

LR-AP-LR-AP-LR.mov

To compare: I've tested with photoshop as well. No difference, (text-)layer is also gone when re-entering LR and image is flat.

LR-PS-LR-PS-LR.mov

To be honest, this is exactly what I would expect within LR. It doesn't handle layers.

Hope this will answer your question.

Remco

And the answer is no, individual layers are not kept and the image is flattened (see attachment). I've also tested 'Edit original' and 'Edit a copy', same results.

To compare: I've tested with photoshop as well. No difference, (text-)layer is also gone when re-entering LR and image is flat.

To be honest, this is exactly what I would expect within LR. It doesn't handle layers.

Thanks for the additional details. They are what I expected.

Except for one thing, it is not the same with Photoshop and there is no need for LR to understand the layers. Photoshop can save layered TIFF, so I can have LR send a TIFF to Photoshop, add layers, save as layered TIFF, return to Lightroom, then Edit Original same image back to Photoshop and all the layers are still editable, including text. That's what I miss when opening in other apps and it's missing in Affinity too: the ability to save their features in non-flat TIFF so that LR does not have to understand the proprietary format.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.