H4ndy

Designer exports slice TIFF with broken CMYK color profile

Hi there!

Affected version: Affinity Design 1.6.4.104 (Windows) and confirmed on 1.6.2 (macOS)

We have a project file that includes two artboards, where one is always exported with a broken color profile on TIFF (CYMK).

This results in three outcomes, depending on the software used with that file:

- Windows image viewer and thumbnails: partly read color profile resulting in a color tint

- Affinity Designer, Photo and Adobe Photoshop read the file without error and display correctly (probably more tolerant error handling)

- Paint.NET aborts loading with a stream read error on the color profile section

So the TIFF file is clearly damaged or only partly saved.

The project file was started from a copy of a previous project, which exports its slices without issues at same settings.

The new project file with the problem has the same export bug on Affinity Designer for macOS (using latest 1.6.2), so I suspect the file itself is somehow damaged.

I prefer not to share the project file publicly but can provide it to support for debugging purpose of course.

Here is the preview, the the labels are exported slices from the same AD file (two artboards).

The left one is correct, the right one has a red tint.

2018-03-09_15-23-27_c7koS.png (218Ã68)

Paint.NET error:

2018-03-09_15-26-12_qok5v.png

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

Hi H4ndy

Can you upload the files suing the following link for s to take a look into?

Thanks

Files uploaded, thanks!

I've provided the project file, fonts and the exported files we get.

Hi H4ndy

Sorry for the delay. I've opened the exported TIFF in a number of apps that can handle the colour profile and they all appear correctly. Windows photo viewer does not handle colour profiles at all and paint.net is an RGB app only so the error is it probably doesn't understand CMYK. I think this is more fault of the viewers you are using rather than the file itself I;m afraid

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

11 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

Hi H4ndy

Sorry for the delay. I've opened the exported TIFF in a number of apps that can handle the colour profile and they all appear correctly. Windows photo viewer does not handle colour profiles at all and paint.net is an RGB app only so the error is it probably doesn't understand CMYK. I think this is more fault of the viewers you are using rather than the file itself I;m afraid

Thanks

I understand the limitations of those application, but why are the two TIFF files different?

They are exported with the same settings from a single project file with two artboards. I could understand if all TIFF files would show this issue or none, but not a mixed outcome from the same project.

I'm only getting  difference in in Windows Photo Viewer. If I use the Windows 10 Photos app they appear the same colour. It is most likely a quirk of that viewer as it is transforming the CMYK colour to RGB for display

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com