Sign in to follow this  
User42

Photo uses wrong monitor profile in dual monitor environment

I use Affinity Phote (1.6.4.104) on an Acer Notebook with Windows 10 and an attached wide gamut monitor (EIZO CS2420). The screens are profiled with i1 display. The bug is, that Photo always displays colors in relation to the profile of the first monitor. Im my environment this is the notebook screen with a sRGB profile. So Photo treats the wide gamut monitor like a sRGB monitor. Conequently Photo displays colors on the wide gamut monitor over saturated. I could verify the assumption by activating an ICC profile with interchanged color channels, which delivers a very strong effect (red becomes green).

The attached screen copy shows the EIZO display. In the color configuration of Windows the EIZO has a measured profile, the notebook monitor has a profile with interchanges color channels.

Workaround: Since I use the Notebook to display the picture browser, true color is not so important here, The workaround is to give the notebook display the same color profile as the wide gamut monitor. Consequently I have correct colors on the EIZO, but under saturated colors on the notebook.

Hope for a future bug fix: Photo should be able to detect on which screen it is running and pick the correct color profile from the windows color configuration.

colors.JPG

When will this be fixed? I'm dead in the water with this product until it is. I thought I was going mad--process in Photolab, export as TIFF with the ProPhoto color space embedded, and the colors appear hypersaturated in AP. I thought maybe Photolab was getting it wrong, but I opened the TIFF in an old version of Photoshop (CS5) and it had the correct profile. That's when I realized it wasn't a colorspace conversion problem, but rather a display profile conversion. Which means that the files I have converted from raw within Affinity are also wrong--good thing I hadn't printed any yet--that would be another level of madness.

But all the responses to the several related questions had to do with making sure the correct profile is installed in Windows. I'm using a high-gamut monitor calibrated using an XRite Eye1 and thought I had my monitor profile issues worked out years ago. Then, I finally stumbled across this thread and learned that unlike the other programs I use, AP does not know which profile to use in a dual-monitor setup.

Is there a reasonable workaround? Or a schedule for when it will be fixed? I keep trying to escape from Adobe, but I keep getting kicked back.

Looking for Photoshop alternative and came across Affinity Photo, which has nice features but lacking basic foto edit functions. As long as the colors are oversaturated, to much contrast etc. by using the wrong monitor profile in Windows, its totally useless. Will there ever be a fix for it? It seems not as I could not see any answer in this forum from Affinity - any news?

Was about to make the same report but well, I guess this is a pretty common issue. My case is the opposite, I have my projector which got wide color gamut set as my primary monitor for my laptop, and my laptop pretty much only got a sRGB screen (both are color calibrated using i1 Display Pro). And thus when I open Affinity Photo on my laptop monitor all the colors are washed out and red become orange.

The best workaround for now might be to just set the actual primary monitor as primary monitor, rather than use the system default? It would also solve many of the compatibility issues.

2 hours ago, jbinder said:

Looking for Photoshop alternative and came across Affinity Photo, which has nice features but lacking basic foto edit functions. As long as the colors are oversaturated, to much contrast etc. by using the wrong monitor profile in Windows, its totally useless. Will there ever be a fix for it? It seems not as I could not see any answer in this forum from Affinity - any news?

As long as you set the correct monitor as your primary monitor you should be fine (as long as you don't put things like color picker on a secondary monitor). Ultimately the color correctness is based on if you loaded the correct ICC profile in Windows.