You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple Raw Engine malfunction

Care to enlighten us? in what way?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Which Raw file is it... NEF, DNG?

Which camera is the raw file from?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Got a .dng you can upload?

Another post with a similar issue as you: 

2 hours ago, Jornerik said:

Canon 600d and DNG from my iPhone 

Which version of macOS or OS X are you using? From what I can find from Apple documentation the 600D has been supported by Apple's RAW Engine from at least El Capitan, but I do not know about earlier OS versions (or if installing an Apple-provided camera raw update is required for some of the earlier ones).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

From an iPhone there are several apps that can produce .dng Raw files, such as Obscura Camera, Lightroom Mobile, ProCamera, Halide, Manual, VSCO and MuseCam, there are probably more but these are probably the most well-known.

Just tried Lightroom Mobile, I downloaded the dng file and opened it in Affinity Photo (APh) 

5aa240401d150_ScreenShot1.thumb.png.1573004a236f142b96d71008ab1cbc36.png

5aa245374b46b_ScreenShot2.thumb.png.de62d385d92df30dd83deef235f97c82.png

I have OS X 10.13.3 and Affinity Photo 1.6.7

5aa24902145f4_ScreenShot4.png.be51d500c3b95be08f040841258eee76.png

I can only suggest either deleting Affinity Photo (APh) and reinstalling or resetting Affinity Photo (APh) from the prefs panel under Miscellaneous, be aware that any resets will remove any customisations you have made to Affinity Photo (APh) and any brushes, fonts, object and text styles you have created or imported will be removed. 

I'd like to ask @R C-R for a bit of info on backing up these sort of things.

Raw files from, for example, Canon 400D and others open without problems. MacOS and Affinity Photo are the same versions that you use. I'm trying with a new install of Affinity. I usually use a Raw Converter PhotoNinja (much much better to remove chromatic aberration and Defringe). It takes 100 years to get the same result in Affinity Photo. Unfortunately! I have first discovered this problem when updating Affinity Photo. I only responded because something is not working properly. I always do.

23 minutes ago, Jornerik said:

Here is the image file. Try it

I get the same results as @firstdefence -- for me the file opens to the image he shows using either the Apple Core or Affinity engine.

18 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I'd like to ask @R C-R for a bit of info on backing up these sort of things.

Probably the best info on that is in the Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video, but if there is something else it does not cover, ask about it & I will try my best to explain it, as I am sure others will as well.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 minutes ago, Jornerik said:

Raw files from, for example, Canon 400D and others open without problems. MacOS and Affinity Photo are the same versions that you use. I'm trying with a new install of Affinity. I usually use a Raw Converter PhotoNinja (much much better to remove chromatic aberration and Defringe). It takes 100 years to get the same result in Affinity Photo. Unfortunately! I have first discovered this problem when updating Affinity Photo. I only responded because something is not working properly. I always do.

I am confused. Are you now saying that the problem is not a black image using Apple's engine but how quickly it takes for the image to appear?

Affinity Photo 

I clarify. I only experience the problem when it's a Raw file taken with my Canon 600D and only when I open the file in Affinity Photo 1.6.7 with the Apple engine selected. With the Serif engine its OK ???? 

In Affinity Photo (APh) Prefs pane what settings do you have under Performance?