You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple Raw Engine malfunction

• Staff

Hi Jornerik,

Thanks for the additional info/support. I'm aware of a few issues when using two monitors which may be the cause of your issue. Currently i'm unable to check this myself as i don't have a second monitor available but i've talked to a colleague that may be able to help check/fix the issue. I or someone else should get back to you soon.

I have probably not explained it well enough. I've tried to unmount the extra monitor from my Mac completely restarted and only use the Mac's 27 "and it did not solve the problem. It's strange that Pixelmator, Affinity Designer, ApplePhotos and Apple Image viewer can use Apple's Raw Engine without any problems.

Thank you for your efforts

pixelmator.jpeg

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Have you changed the Display setting in Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section, Display dropdown? Is it set to Metal or OpenGL? Can you switch them and try again please?

His iMac is a 2009 it won't support metal.

Is there any point in looking at the Activity Monitor with regard to Affinity Photo (APh) for any issues that might point to a possible cause?

Could there also be a conflict with any apps that are running, I know this is a slim chance but might be worth closing down any apps that aren't necessary just to test.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

39 minutes ago, Jornerik said:

It's strange that Pixelmator, Affinity Designer, ApplePhotos and Apple Image viewer can use Apple's Raw Engine without any problems.

Just curious, but do we know for certain that Affinity Designer uses Apple's RAW Engine & not possibly the Affinity one?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

51 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Just curious, but do we know for certain that Affinity Designer uses Apple's RAW Engine & not possibly the Affinity one?

I would assume that because there isn't an option for choice that it would default to Apple RAW?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

I would assume that because there isn't an option for choice that it would default to Apple RAW?

Maybe, but on the other hand if they used the Serif engine it could be the same for the Mac & Windows versions (if the Serif engine is the same for both), simplifying cross-platform development.

Maybe one of the staff will let us know which one AD uses....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have tried to convert the CR2 files from my Canon 600D to DNG using Adobe's DNG converter. All of my programs mentioned earlier can read the DNG except Affinity Photo if installed on a Mac from late 2009. My son and I both have a Mac from 2009 and the error occurs on both machines. My son does not have any external monitor connected to his MAC. My Macbook and the son's Macbook, which are only a few years old, have no problems. My wife's Mac a few years old works fine with my CR2 Raw files.

Now I do not want to research more about the problem for the Raw converter in Affinity Photo is so bad to remove chromatic aberration compared to, for example, Lightroom, PhotoNinja and Rawtherapee that I can not use it. Images converted into Affinity Photos Raw engine are less sharp in those areas where there is chromatic aberration.

This is also true in Affinity Photo for iPad. It also uses Apple's Raw Engine and it is clear that Apple has changed the raw data and removed noise. I have purchased an App (Raw converter) and again the result is better than that Affinity Photo for iPad shows. If chromatic aberration or defringe is turned on or not, nothing changes in the image. There is room for improvement also in Affinity Photo for iPad.

Thank you for your help