Can anyone help me. I am a new user to the software but am experiencing some technical issues.

I am running Affinity version 1.64.104 on Windows 10 fully updated. However a number of the tools on the left panel panel don't seem to be working in particular the selection brush tool.

Additionally having paid for the Affinity photo for beginners course I have been following through on some of the exercises. I have been trying to use the paint brush painting in black to reveal colour having applied a black & white adjustment to a photo. Instead of revealing colour its painting/revealing light green instead of the base colour which is yellow, I have attached a screen shot.

Apologies if this is a stupid query but I've tried everything

thanks

alan

screen shot.jpg

View > Show tools   reveals or hide the tools panel

Maybe set your  brush hardness  to 100%

Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481   - Beta 1.8.0.486

Windows 10 Home  1909 (build 18363.476) - 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB
Calibrated Monitor (Datacolor Spyder5 Pro)

Try moving the White Balance adjustment above the Black and White adjustment layer, or make the Black and White adjustment layer a child of the image.

5aa2835122315_ScreenShot5.png.e2a927330f5778915a725ef2ec5fe3ab.png

5aa28317acc2a_ScreenShot6.thumb.png.170b2cd8b18b6bf76fb8ea11b6e2af11.png

Yellow lines.mp4

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me I really appreciate it.

Please find attached my attempt to copy your yellow lines mp4 ... Maybe you could have a look at what I'm doing wrong as it has made no difference to what I had tried before and looks nothing like your very good instructional video

Thanks again for your help

al

Yellow_Lines.mp4

You are using the Erase Brush Tool to paint on the mask layer

You should be using the Paint Brush Tool and set it to the colour black

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

You are using the Erase Brush Tool to paint on the mask layer

You should be using the Paint Brush Tool and set it to the colour black

Hey Carl. You can do either. Erasing is the same as a black brush on masks.

@Alan Leckey kind of an interesting photo. Bottom line is .... that's the color of your street lines.

In the original photo, next to the color of the cobblestones the lines appear yellow(ish). But next to the grey of the B&W they look green(ish).

Here's a section of the stripe with nothing done to it..... just masked off from the rest of the image on a white background.

Lookin' pretty green to me ;)

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 1.18.17 PM.png

@JimmyJack yea must be something in the photo as I tried the same operation with Photoshop and got the same results.....but thanks for your help very much appreciated and great to see there are people here in the forum willing to help novices lol...

thanks again