You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all, 

I’m using affinity on smaller iPad Pro, trying to get the “remove white paper” filter to work.

im photographing products on a white paper background, and want to remove the paper completely, so I click the “remove white paper” option.  The white areas go transparent on screen, but not if I export. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to “apply” somehow? 

dutchshader was faster … ;)

Do you export to an alpha-channel-aware format? For instance, use PNG and make sure that Matte is set to None. There is a switch left to the Matte field in the PNG export dialogue. Make sure it is disabled. :)

i tried exporting as described, but no joy, the image itself is the background, applying the filter doesn't separate the image into a background or foreground, i can add a background, which appears, but it won't go completely white, its overlaying tones from the original image, 

it must just apply to pure whites rather than off whites, which kinda defeats the object of what i'm trying to do... :(

58 minutes ago, Gareth Humphreys said:

i tried exporting as described, but no joy, the image itself is the background, applying the filter doesn't separate the image into a background or foreground, i can add a background, which appears, but it won't go completely white, its overlaying tones from the original image, 

it must just apply to pure whites rather than off whites, which kinda defeats the object of what i'm trying to do... :(

Gareth, I can't say I follow a lot of that. Maybe post an example?

In the meantime.... please be careful with Remove White Paper. Any part/color of the image with an L value greater than 50 will also be partially (according to the L%) erased.

Perhaps this is what's happened and what you're referring to when you say "its overlaying tones from the original image"?